The Talent Shortage Myth and Why HR Should Get Out of the Hiring Business

Started by Caliga, April 02, 2013, 12:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 02, 2013, 06:40:02 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 02, 2013, 05:31:42 PM
And that's why you really can't blame HR.  It's lawyers that have ruined everything, as always.

And yet lawyers would never rely on HR for hiring decisions . . .
Of course not.  Your dark priesthood doesn't need HR buy indulgences from HR.  They have a closer relationship with the source.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on April 02, 2013, 11:09:47 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 02, 2013, 06:40:02 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 02, 2013, 05:31:42 PM
And that's why you really can't blame HR.  It's lawyers that have ruined everything, as always.

And yet lawyers would never rely on HR for hiring decisions . . .
Which is another reason everyone with HR degrees should be taken out and shot.  They're just one more facet of the de-lawyerization of legal services.  Also, regulatory compliance employees.  Especially regulatory compliance employees.

How about everyone over 35?
Wouldn't it make more sense to kill the lawyers, as it is their evil that forces HR to exist?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

What, by generating profits therefore requiring people to be hired?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 02, 2013, 02:52:27 PM
HR should die a thousand deaths. I am still picking the knives out of my back.

HR  :ultra: Fucking usless twats.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Iormlund

Quote from: alfred russel on April 02, 2013, 07:09:58 PM
As an aside, I recently saw a situation where there was a group of managers that were not particularly competent at the technical stuff they were supposed to handle. Someone apparently came to the decision that the easiest way to deal with this was to guide them into less technical matters in the department, for example, bringing on board new employees. The problem with this strategy became apparent when some new hires were found to be lacking some basic skills.

Actually--this is probably related to how people end up in HR, and then screwing up the hiring process.

How did those managers enter the company in the first place?

Grallon

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 02, 2013, 06:38:20 PM
Law's a great example of words that to an outsider are baffling and sound like they're trying to confuse, but are actually clarifying.

Well, *should* be. Reading some agreements allegedly drafted by lawyers ...  :D

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

Quote from: Iormlund on April 03, 2013, 07:16:10 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 02, 2013, 07:09:58 PM
As an aside, I recently saw a situation where there was a group of managers that were not particularly competent at the technical stuff they were supposed to handle. Someone apparently came to the decision that the easiest way to deal with this was to guide them into less technical matters in the department, for example, bringing on board new employees. The problem with this strategy became apparent when some new hires were found to be lacking some basic skills.

Actually--this is probably related to how people end up in HR, and then screwing up the hiring process.

How did those managers enter the company in the first place?

In this case, they were acquired through a merger.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 02, 2013, 12:48:51 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 02, 2013, 12:28:27 PM
For larger companies, HR is needed in the recruiting process. If you look at most companies, the higher paying positions are overwhelmingly male and white (compared at least to the general population). If you decentralize the process, in a lawsuit you are asking to get hammered. A lawyer finds a couple cases where it seems like there might be discrimination, you then look at the makeup of the company as a whole, and you have a solid case that there is a culture of discrimination.

With HR, you get relatively comprehensive CYA. You can document how you reach out to minority groups, detailed descriptions of non racial / gender discrimination searches to identify target candidates, and then documentation of why the interview process selected the candidate to hire that it did.

HR is nothing more than a compliance machine.  They're simply there to check off the EEOC boxes at the end of the application.
YES I AM A NON-HISPANIC WHITE MALE OF EUROPEAN DESCENT I'LL ACCEPT MY REJECTION EMAIL NOW

I wonder if claiming to be bi on those stupid sections would up my chances :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Quote from: fahdiz on April 03, 2013, 09:57:12 AM
They don't ask questions about your sexual orientation.

The EEOC creams its pants every time somebody does.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 03, 2013, 10:09:37 AM

I think he is talking about the "voluntary" sections the EEOC and its international equivalents make employers put there.

stjaba

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 03, 2013, 10:09:37 AM

There is no federal law against discrimination relating to sexual orientation, so the EEOC likely doesn't give a shit.

Some states do have laws that prohibit sexual orientation discrimination.

Ed Anger

Fuck, I'm been too nice to the weirdos when I didn't have to be. Damn HR.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive