The Talent Shortage Myth and Why HR Should Get Out of the Hiring Business

Started by Caliga, April 02, 2013, 12:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

I'm trying to fill an open position right now, and I'm surprised how bad the candidates are. One dude put that he's been running a consulting firm for the last seven years. The company has no incorporation status, no business license, no presence whatsoever. He's got a domain name for it but no site. If you theoretically wanted to do business with them, there's no way you could find them. Fake.

At least HR is sending me the resumes. Lord knows what I'd end up with.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 03, 2013, 01:04:36 PM
I'm trying to fill an open position right now, and I'm surprised how bad the candidates are. One dude put that he's been running a consulting firm for the last seven years. The company has no incorporation status, no business license, no presence whatsoever. He's got a domain name for it but no site. If you theoretically wanted to do business with them, there's no way you could find them. Fake.

At least HR is sending me the resumes. Lord knows what I'd end up with.

He didn't say it was a very good consulting firm :p

I'd bring him in just to question him about that.....
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

I used to get that a lot.  People that had been unemployed not wanting to admit it and therefore saying they were the 'President' of 'Joe Sixpack Inc.' providing "consulting" services.  Dude, just tell me the truth.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Speaking of interviews, we did panel interviews today for two sys admin guys.  One of the boys who's based in Chicago couldn't make it down so we set up an audio feed and then the IT Architecture guy busted out this camera so he could see the candidate and he piped the guy in Chicago's voice through the camera.  Only this camera literally looked like an eye on a stalk and could track the candidate's movement... it was seriously creeping me the fuck out as it looked like the candidate was interacting with HAL or that monster from the trash compactor in Star Wars. :lol:

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on April 03, 2013, 06:39:22 PM
I used to get that a lot.  People that had been unemployed not wanting to admit it and therefore saying they were the 'President' of 'Joe Sixpack Inc.' providing "consulting" services.  Dude, just tell me the truth.

Why?  It's not going to make you hire them anymore.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

I don't like being lied to.  It's not great to have huge employment gaps, but it's better than lying about your work history.

That said, in the case where someone has serious felony convictions (we've discussed this before in other threads), I do think the best strategy for the candidate is to try and lie and hope the company doesn't bother to run a background check... if you have certain kinds of convictions, such as theft, murder, etc. you will NEVER be hired by a company, ever.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 03, 2013, 06:59:59 PM
I liked being a consultant.

Easiest job in the world.
I'm not talking about the kind of consultant you are/were, Colonel.  I'm talking about the kind of consultant that isn't actually a consultant.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on April 03, 2013, 06:49:14 PM
I don't like being lied to.  It's not great to have huge employment gaps, but it's better than lying about your work history.

That said, in the case where someone has serious felony convictions (we've discussed this before in other threads), I do think the best strategy for the candidate is to try and lie and hope the company doesn't bother to run a background check... if you have certain kinds of convictions, such as theft, murder, etc. you will NEVER be hired by a company, ever.

I suppose whether or not it's better then lying about your work history depends on whether or not the interviewer buys it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

This thread makes me think to the time shortly after undergrad.  I was dicking around trying to figure out something to do and I ran into a former dormmate in a Metro station.  All dressed up, flashed me out a business card.  He was president of a consulting company too. 

I was sincerely impressed.  Wondered to myself whoa how the fuck did that dude pull that off so quick?

Caliga

:D

When I hear the words "president of my own consulting company" I reach for my Beretta.

Ideologue

Quote from: Caliga on April 03, 2013, 06:49:14 PM

How about an eleven year old assault and battery, DUI, and sundries?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)