And we're back!

Main Menu

Cure for cancer, bitches

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 29, 2013, 04:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: PDH on March 30, 2013, 03:21:37 PM
Great, so we cure cancer in mice.
it's only fair since we purposefully give them the cancer in the first place.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martinus

Quote from: HVC on March 30, 2013, 03:36:20 PM
Quote from: PDH on March 30, 2013, 03:21:37 PM
Great, so we cure cancer in mice.
it's only fair since we purposefully give them the cancer in the first place.

If that was how it worked, the US government would have cured HIV in blacks by now.

Caliga

Quote from: Fate on March 30, 2013, 11:23:43 AM
These medical story writers really need to tone down the Timmahism. This drug hasn't even been tested in humans and the author is going on about one drug to cure all cancer.  :rolleyes:

You could write the same drivel about any of a thousand other drugs that fail to make it to phase IV testing. For some reason cancer hasn't been cured yet, though... this one must be different!
THE MAN won't allow cancer to be cured.  Think of all the companies that will be screwed if that happens and their drugs are no longer needed.... and of all the money said companies give to members of Congress. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

fhdz

These medical story writers really need to tone down the Timmahism. This drug hasn't even been tested in humans and the author is going on about one drug to cure all cancer.  :rolleyes:

You could write the same drivel about any of a thousand other drugs that fail to make it to phase IV testing. For some reason cancer hasn't been cured yet, though... this one must be different!

Eventually, one of them *is* different.

But far be it from me to dwell on such things. Please continue to froth.
and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

Quote from: Caliga on April 02, 2013, 11:59:51 AM

THE MAN won't allow cancer to be cured.  Think of all the companies that will be screwed if that happens and their drugs are no longer needed.... and of all the money said companies give to members of Congress. :)

If it could be proven that a cure for cancer was squashed by Congress due to pharmaceutical lobbying, I would definitely love to see the ensuing lynchings. That'd be rad.

merithyn

Quote from: fahdiz on April 02, 2013, 12:27:12 PM

Shh. Don't rain on Fate's I-are-smarter-than-all-of-you-look-at-me-I'm-gonna-be-a-doctor parade.  :secret:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

fhdz

Quote from: merithyn on April 02, 2013, 12:32:30 PM

Shh. Don't rain on Fate's I-are-smarter-than-all-of-you-look-at-me-I'm-gonna-be-a-doctor parade.  :secret:

"People sure need to stop being excited about potential medical breakthroughs! What a bunch of suckers! Don't you know what a low success rate drug development has?"

Admiral Yi

Keep fighting the good fight Fate.  :)

Fate

It is absolutely ludicrous to think there will be a single cure for all cancers as the author purports. The disease process is simply too complex. If you want to be realistic in your fantasizing then there will eventually be a multitude of drugs each tailored to a person's individual cancer genetics. But that doesn't sound as snazzy in a poorly written health article.

fhdz

Quote from: Fate on April 02, 2013, 03:40:32 PM
It is absolutely ludicrous to think there will be a single cure for all cancers as the author purports.

With your years and years of experience in pharmacology I am sure to trust your expert opinion.

Jacob

Quote from: fahdiz on April 02, 2013, 03:53:16 PM
With your years and years of experience in pharmacology I am sure to trust your expert opinion.

With luminaries such as Merithyn and yourself lined up against it, Fate's critique looks thin indeed.

Scipio

I don't see anything in here about a cure for bitches.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

HVC

Quote from: Scipio on April 02, 2013, 05:51:37 PM
I don't see anything in here about a cure for bitches.
divorce.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Caliga

Oh, you think they go away at that point, eh? :lol:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: fahdiz on April 02, 2013, 03:53:16 PM
Quote from: Fate on April 02, 2013, 03:40:32 PM
It is absolutely ludicrous to think there will be a single cure for all cancers as the author purports.

It does seem odd to suggest there would be one cure. Given that at the most basic cancers all involve cells growing uncontrollably in a way that harms the body - why would it make sense to assume there would be a drug that could stop such growth in all types of cells?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.