Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on August 21, 2015, 08:25:01 AM
None of them wants to change the status quo.  There won't be war.
The North Koreans can't be trusted to hit what they're aiming for. I'm sure they don't want a war, but their equipment and training is shitty enough that they could miss and kill some Southern soldiers and the South would be forced to retaliate.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 21, 2015, 09:11:59 AM
The North Koreans can't be trusted to hit what they're aiming for. I'm sure they don't want a war, but their equipment and training is shitty enough that they could miss and kill some Southern soldiers and the South would be forced to retaliate.

They sank a Southern ship and killed some people on an island.  Nothing happened. 

Valmy

I believe the South made some very passionate face saving statements of outrage Mono. That's not nothing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on August 21, 2015, 09:17:42 AM
I believe the South made some very passionate face saving statements of outrage Mono. That's not nothing.

I stand corrected :hmm:

grumbler

Quote from: Monoriu on August 21, 2015, 09:14:40 AM

They sank a Southern ship and killed some people on an island.  Nothing happened.

Which is why the South Korean government can't let another provocation go unanswered.  I fear the NORKs think like you do, though, and are convinced that, of the South didn't decisively retaliate the last time, they never will. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on August 21, 2015, 09:14:40 AM

Six years ago. Korea has changed, it's much more confident and self assured. There would be serious retaliation if the North did anything like that again.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 23, 2015, 05:48:00 PM
Unusual North Korean submarine activity.  :ph34r:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/s-korea-detects-unusual-submarine-activity-north-envoys-meet-n414446

Woah, that's more than unusual.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-24/korean-standoff-no-agreement-from-talks-north-south-on-alert/6719496
QuoteKorean standoff: No agreement from talks as North, South militaries remain on maximum alert

Top-level North and South Korean negotiators have talked through the night with no sign of an agreement over ending a military standoff that has threatened to boil over into armed conflict.

After a 10-hour marathon discussion the previous night, the talks passed the 16-hour mark in a second session in the border village of Panmunjom, where the 1950-53 Korean War ceasefire was signed.

The second round was clouded by South Korean claims the North was seeking to influence the negotiating process with provocative military movements.

South Korea's defence ministry said the North doubled its artillery units at the border and deployed two-thirds of its total submarine fleet, about 50 vessels, outside its bases.

"The North is adopting a two-faced stance with the talks going on," said a ministry spokesman who described the scale of the submarine movement as "unprecedented".

At the same time the North deployed naval and artillery units, South Korean and US fighter jets carried out simulated bombing sorties not far from the border.

The negotiations in Panmunjom are being led by South Korean national security adviser Kim Kwan-jin and his North Korean counterpart Hwang Pyong-so, a close confidant of leader Kim Jong-un.

Strained negotiations reflect long history of tension

The gruelling hours reflect the challenge of reaching a compromise, with both militaries on maximum alert and flexing their weaponry across a border that has already seen one exchange of artillery fire.

The roots of the standoff lie in landmine blasts on the border earlier this month that maimed two South Korean soldiers.

Accusing Pyongyang of laying the mines, Seoul retaliated by switching on giant banks of loudspeakers that had lain silent for more than a decade and blasting high-decibel propaganda messages into North Korea.

The North has denied any role in the mine blasts and issued an ultimatum for the South to halt its "psychological warfare" or face attack.

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, a former South Korean foreign minister, urged both sides to "redouble" their efforts to reach a compromise.

The two Koreas have still technically been at war for the past 65 years, as the Korean War ended with a ceasefire that was never ratified by a formal peace treaty.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

North Korea has a 75 unit strong sub fleet? Damn.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malicious Intent

Most of these subs are of the very small coastal variant, that are also used for ferrying spies to and from the south.

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on August 24, 2015, 12:39:43 AM

There's something like 20 old Romeo class (though some of these have been built in the last 30 years) and the rest are coastal boats of about 300 tons or less.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on August 24, 2015, 12:39:43 AM

I wonder if a large part of these subs are one way only...