Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DontSayBanana

I had to leave the page after seeing the fist-pump military drill. :bleeding:

For a guy who declares America the enemy, Kim Jong Un seems to be doing his damnedest to turn NK into Jersey Shore. :unsure:
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

Jersey Shore is America's enemy within.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

garbon

I think that is overstating matters by quite a bit.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on April 29, 2013, 09:14:13 AM
I think that is overstating matters by quite a bit.

On the Jersey Shore thing?  Hardly.  It was hell being here and watching kids suddenly trying to act like that after seeing it on TV.  It was a bad case of "life imitates 'art.'"
Experience bij!

garbon

Yeah but for the most part it is still localized to Jersey and even more so as we move away from when that show was running.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on April 29, 2013, 09:30:43 AM
Yeah but for the most part it is still localized to Jersey and even more so as we move away from when that show was running.

Was thinking more of the attention-whoring and vapidity in general and not the orange tans, greased hair and weight-lifting specifically. There's plenty of examples of the same in other regions of the country.

garbon

Sure but then that's nothing specific to the Jersey Shore. Might as well blame Real World...or youtube. :D

Eddie Teach

I do blame them, especially Real World. But they didn't dovetail with Carrot's comment.  :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on April 29, 2013, 10:05:53 AM
Sure but then that's nothing specific to the Jersey Shore. Might as well blame Real World...or youtube. :D

I completely blame MTV for abandoning music videos and starting shit like the Real World as the genesis of all this "reality TV" bullshit.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

That should make for awkward family reunions:

QuoteNorth Korea's Kim Jong Un kills family of executed uncle, report claims

BEIJING — After executing his powerful uncle last month, North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un took his purge to an extreme degree by putting to death almost all the uncle's direct relatives, including children, according to an unconfirmed report by the South Korean news agency Yonhap.

If the wave of killings is ever confirmed, it suggests Kim's brutality exceeds even that of his father and grandfather, his predecessors in power, said one North Korea expert Monday. The move also reveals Kim's fear of opposition forces, said Hong Kwan-hee at Korea University.

Citing multiple but unnamed sources, Yonhap said Kim ordered the killings, which took place after the Dec. 12 execution of Jang Song Thaek, husband of Kim's aunt, the daughter of the regime's founding father Kim Il Sung. Jang's removal surprised most North Korea watchers, as he was considered the second most powerful figure in the highly repressive and isolated state.

"The executions of Jang's relatives mean that no traces of him should be left," one source told Yonhap. "The purge of the Jang Song Thaek people is under way on an extensive scale from relatives and low-level officials."

The relatives killed include Jang's sister, Jang Kye-sun; her husband Jon Yong-jin, North Korea's ambassador to Cuba; Jang Yong-chol, ambassador to Malaysia; a nephew of Jang Song Thaek, and Jang Yong-chol's two sons, said Yonhap. All had been recalled to Pyongyang in early December. The sons, daughters and grandchildren of Jang's two deceased elder brothers were also executed, sources told Yonhap.

Some of them were shot to death as they were dragged from their homes, the report said, while some relatives by marriage, including the wife of the ambassador to Malaysia, were instead banished to live with their families in remote villages. North Korean defectors have long reported that the regime often punishes entire extended families for the alleged crimes of one family member.

Executing the extended family also recalls traditional punishments under past dynasties such as the Joseon, said Korea University's Hong. The "possibility is quite high" that the Yonhap report proves accurate, said Hong, but he cautioned that South Korea's spy agency has yet to issue any confirmation of the alleged events over the border.

North Korea remains so removed from the world, and its behavior so bizarre and belligerent, that strange and sometimes fictitious stories quickly gain global currency. Pyongyang did not confirm how Jang was executed last month. Into that information gap rushed a rapidly viral story that he was fed to starving dogs, although that tale originated in the mind and blog of a satirical writer based in mainland China.

Kim Jong Un's extermination of Jang's family, if confirmed, highlights "his fear that other family members could form an anti-Kim Jong Un movement, so this is a measure for rooting out opposition," said Hong. The scale of the purge appears more wide-ranging than similar punishments imposed by Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il, Kim Jong Un's father, he said.

Kim seems more brutal, radical and unstable than his father and grandfather, said Hong. "In the short run this kind of action could give him a stronger power base, but in the long run North Korea will be faced by very fundamental political instability," Hong predicted. Kim's own instability, and reported quick temper, also endangers the entire Korean peninsula, he said.

The U.S. Special Representative for North Korea policy, Ambassador Glyn Davies, is visiting Beijing today and Tuesday, to discuss China's troublesome neighbor and the regional response to North Korea's nuclear program. He then flies to South Korea and Japan. China is the North's only significant ally, and a vital source of food, fuel and diplomatic support.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

He's going to make too many enemies. It might just collapse on him if he's not careful.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers