Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Legbiter on April 05, 2013, 08:07:52 AM
South Korea is deploying two warships with missile-defence systems to counter the North Korean missile threat.

Awesome.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Camerus

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/terrorism-security/2013/0405/As-prospect-of-North-Korea-missile-launch-rises-some-question-US-response-to-threats
QuoteSEOUL (AFP) - North Korea told Russia on Friday to consider evacuating its embassy in Pyongyang, as reports suggesting the North was preparing an imminent missile launch prompted a fresh spike in global concern.

An embassy spokesman told Russian news agencies that the North Korean foreign ministry had suggested they "examine the question of evacuating employees" from the mission.

The spokesman said he believed a similar suggestion had been made to other diplomatic missions in the capital.

Surely when one state is credibly threatening nuclear destruction of others, there comes a point at which a preemptive strike is warranted...

derspiess

Quote from: Maladict on April 05, 2013, 09:41:00 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 05, 2013, 06:42:44 AM
Really not a good sign.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/9973577/North-Korea-missile-threat-latest-live.html

Don't they have some crazy calendar of their own?

No, they use ours, though they add the "Juche year" (for which year one was Kim Il Sung's birth in 1912).

For example, today would be "April 5. 2013 Juche 102"

edit: that may be for foreign consumption.  Internally it may be more like "April 5. Juche 102" or however it looks with numbers & squiggle marks.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Zeit.de reports that Germany is among the countries to who NK suggested they evacuate their embassy (plus UK, Russia, Czech Rep., Bulgaria).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on April 05, 2013, 09:53:46 AM
Surely when one state is credibly threatening nuclear destruction of others, there comes a point at which a preemptive strike is warranted...

The attack threat is credible.  The nuclear destruction threat is not.
Experience bij!

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Admiral Yi

:D

Wonder where they found the old dude to play the officer.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2013, 11:29:58 AM
:D

Wonder where they found the old dude to play the officer.

Dunno, but he's a dead ringer for a senior Nork officer: old, a little pudgy, and about 4 feet tall.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2013, 10:27:04 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 04, 2013, 10:25:27 AM
What do you think the odds are?

There are participants in this thread who are talking as if war is the odds-on probability.  I personally would be OK with even odds.
How about 1.5:1 odds, and we have a deal.  :)

DGuller

Is it just me, or does this not seem like the most effective infantry formation?  Although I do find it impressive that the guy can fire with his eyes closed.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on April 05, 2013, 11:48:34 AM
Is it just me, or does this not seem like the most effective infantry formation?  Although I do find it impressive that the guy can fire with his eyes closed.

we already discussed that pic and I refuse to believe its genuine. I have a pretty low opinion on NK, but they cannot possibly be THAT stupid.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2013, 11:57:39 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 05, 2013, 11:39:08 AM
How about 1.5:1 odds, and we have a deal.  :)

OK.  How much skin?
Going by our past amounts, I'd say I get $30 if someone gets killed due to enemy actions in the period ending April 19th 11:59 PM EST, and if no one gets killed, you get $20.  I can go higher if you want.

Grey Fox

There are website for this kind of thing.
bodog.net
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.