Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 04, 2013, 09:28:19 AM
I'd up that a little. Four were killed in the 2010 shelling and I could easily see that much happening.

Is cash located in same position as mouth?

derspiess

Quote from: Legbiter on April 04, 2013, 09:26:17 AM
I don't think it's about squeezing an extra shipment of rice out of SK. It's probably more about Fat Kim establishing himself as a tough cookie to the NK elite. Also, to signal to the Chinese not to enforce the new sanctions on NK.

I kinda thought he had already done that.  And he had purged several generals that seemed opposed to him (execution by mortar round was a nice touch).  But who knows. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2013, 09:20:34 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 04, 2013, 09:17:07 AM
What are the condition by which to evaluate the bet?

At least one person killed or wounded due to enemy action.
Would the shelling of islands, or sinking of warships, have qualified as enemy action?  Also, what's the timeframe?  Obviously sooner or later one of the Koreans would be killed due to enemy action.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on April 04, 2013, 09:49:08 AM
Would the shelling of islands, or sinking of warships, have qualified as enemy action?
:mellow:
QuoteAlso, what's the timeframe?  Obviously sooner or later one of the Koreans would be killed due to enemy action.

Two weeks sounds fair to me.  Anything after that and it's no longer this particular incident.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2013, 09:51:02 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 04, 2013, 09:49:08 AM
Would the shelling of islands, or sinking of warships, have qualified as enemy action?
:mellow:
Is that a yes or a no?  "Enemy action" is tricky to define when you have an undeclared war.

Admiral Yi

How in the world is shelling an island or sinking a warship ambiguous in terms of enemy action?

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2013, 09:58:12 AM
How in the world is shelling an island or sinking a warship ambiguous in terms of enemy action?

He's probably using some obscure accounting measure :rolleyes:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2013, 09:58:12 AM
I guess that's a yes then.

I would put the odds of someone dying due to enemy action in the next to weeks at 6:1.  My $1x to your $6x, in other words.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on April 04, 2013, 10:20:16 AM

I would put the odds of someone dying due to enemy action in the next to weeks at 6:1.  My $1x to your $6x, in other words.

No good.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2013, 10:21:15 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 04, 2013, 10:20:16 AM

No good.
What do you think the odds are?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on April 04, 2013, 10:25:27 AM

There are participants in this thread who are talking as if war is the odds-on probability.  I personally would be OK with even odds.

Admiral Yi

And conceptually you had it backwards with your ambiguity question.  Yes, there is ambiguity whether the discharge of a weapon is a hostile act or not (i.e. missile test flight), but no ambiguity whether a casualty was caused by enemy action or not.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2013, 10:27:04 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 04, 2013, 10:25:27 AM

There are participants in this thread who are talking as if war is the odds-on probability.  I personally would be OK with even odds.
We are too far apart on price.

The odds are significant, especially for the stakes involved, but they're not close to even, IMO.