Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Brain on May 24, 2018, 03:19:16 PM
Stuff from stuff that never was is cool. Like promo stuff for the 1940 Olympics.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Legbiter

Trump's meeting with Abe before the summit.  :hmm:

QuoteThe White House says President Donald Trump and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe plan to meet in advance of the "expected meeting" between Trump and North Korea's leader.

The White House said Trump and Abe spoke Monday. They discussed their shared goal of achieving "the complete and permanent dismantlement of North Korea's nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons and ballistic missile programs."

The call came amid a whirlwind of activity over the possible June 12 summit in Singapore. Trump pulled out of the meeting Kim Jong Un last week, but then said a day later that it could get back on track. The White House's latest characterization of the meeting as "expected" appears to be a further sign that it could go ahead.

Trump said Sunday that a U.S. team was in North Korea to work on plans. Another U.S. delegation was in Singapore to work on logistics.

https://apnews.com/db851a6649084b6d8bd522a52003823b/The-Latest:-Trump-to-meet-Abe-before-'expected'-Kim-summit
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maximus

Do you have any evidence that it's back on?

dps

Do we have any evidence that Trump even knows where Korea is?

grumbler

What's the Vegas line on this being cancelled again (or else Trump just saying it was never back on)?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maladict

Trump and Kim to meet in private, no scribes allowed. How could this possibly end well?*

*Apart from the obvious answer (Shinjū)

Barrister

Quote from: Maladict on June 11, 2018, 11:13:34 AM
Trump and Kim to meet in private, no scribes allowed. How could this possibly end well?*

To be fair such summits are never conducted in front of reporters.

Though I agree the odds of this ending well are vanishingly small.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on June 11, 2018, 11:20:24 AM
Quote from: Maladict on June 11, 2018, 11:13:34 AM

To be fair such summits are never conducted in front of reporters.

Though I agree the odds of this ending well are vanishingly small.

Maybe one of them will take the opportunity while they're in private to murder the other.  That would be a win for everyone else, no matter who came out alive.  If they were to manage to off each other, that would be a win-win. 

;)

Zanza

Let's see if Kim wants to achieve anything other than being at eye level with the world's superpower. China already eased the embargo and I don't see what Trump could offer Kim that would make Kim destroy his nukes. After all they were the vehicle to get this enlarged international standing in the first place. Why give them up? Trump isn't trustworthy anyway.

crazy canuck

What is the betting line on a "Rocketman" tweet in the next 48 hours?

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on June 11, 2018, 11:28:38 AM
Let's see if Kim wants to achieve anything other than being at eye level with the world's superpower. China already eased the embargo and I don't see what Trump could offer Kim that would make Kim destroy his nukes. After all they were the vehicle to get this enlarged international standing in the first place. Why give them up? Trump isn't trustworthy anyway.

Easy answer is that Kim won't give them up.

Most likely answer is that Trump shows up, announces he will sign a peace treaty and recognize North Korea, declare himself to be a peacemaker, and leave.  It'll probably make for good publicity for him, all the while ignoring that the North Koreans gave up nothing while the US gave up a great deal of leverage in exchange for nothing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on June 11, 2018, 11:33:16 AM
Quote from: Zanza on June 11, 2018, 11:28:38 AM

Easy answer is that Kim won't give them up.

Most likely answer is that Trump shows up, announces he will sign a peace treaty and recognize North Korea, declare himself to be a peacemaker, and leave.  It'll probably make for good publicity for him, all the while ignoring that the North Koreans gave up nothing while the US gave up a great deal of leverage in exchange for nothing.

I like my suggestion about what might happen better.