Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Apparently South Korea was not notified in advance of the summit cancellation.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

Looks like everyone's favorite chicken hawk Bolton is assuming the recently vacated role of Shadow President
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Zanza

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 24, 2018, 08:54:28 AM
Summit canceled by Trump.

Quote"You talk about your nuclear capabilities," Trump wrote in his letter to Kim, "but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used."
Good lord, he is really at the level of a school yard bully.  :lol:

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on May 24, 2018, 11:55:52 AM

Quote"You talk about your nuclear capabilities," Trump wrote in his letter to Kim, "but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used."

I was wondering what he was going to do after NK press basically threatened him with a nuclear war if he doesn't behave himself. He got himself into a situation where he either cancels or looks like Kim's little bitch.

The Minsky Moment

This is Trump and his genius 3D chess game.
I.e. Trump makes a move, is shocked when he realizes the other side gets to make a move as well, and then responds by knocking the board over.
Chess in 3 dimensions.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

To be fair cancelling the summit is likely the right move - because there's no way I'd trust Trump in a one-on-one summit.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

I was willing to reconsider Trump's presidency and forgive his character short-comings if he managed to facilitate peace and lasting reconciliation on the Korean peninsula. It's looking less likely that that's going to happen now :(

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on May 24, 2018, 12:49:01 PM
:lol:  No you weren't.

I am, actually. Same with Israel-Palestine. Deliver a good lasting equitable fix there, and I'll give him significant credit. It's unlikely, of course. In general I believe his methods are unfit and his character beyond dubious so I expect bad outcomes... but I've been wrong before.

If Trump doesn't seriously precipitate a major war costing the US billions of dollars and hundreds of lives, and killing non-Americans in the tens of thousands or more, then he'll be doing better than I expect and I'll upgrade my opinion of him to "exceptionally odious but whatever" as opposed to "exceptionally odious and malignantly harmful."

If he actually delivers some major good I'll re-evaluate my opinion of him. His supporters (including Trump himself) frequently claim that he's clever and the blustery bullying and flip-flopping is an effective negotiation strategy. I think that's laughably incorrect. However, if somehow Trump facilitates lasting peace in the Middle East, denuclearization of North Korea and a lasting thaw in relations, or significant regime change for the better in China, Russia et. al. without a major war then I'll have to concede that maybe they were right and I am wrong.

The recent developments around North Korea forced my to face that. What if it actually turned out well in the long run? The conclusion would be that in that case I'd have been wrong about Trump, and he really is at least some of what his boosters say.

However, with this recent change the malignant buffoon explanation for Trump's actions seems to hold true.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tamas on May 24, 2018, 11:59:47 AM
Quote from: Zanza on May 24, 2018, 11:55:52 AM

I was wondering what he was going to do after NK press basically threatened him with a nuclear war if he doesn't behave himself. He got himself into a situation where he either cancels or looks like Kim's little bitch.

Did you read the cancellation letter?  I think he managed both at the same time.

Admiral Yi

Now Speesh is stuck with a useless plate.  :(

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 24, 2018, 03:04:26 PM
Now Speesh is stuck with a useless plate.  :(

It was a coin anyway :(

But it can be yours for a discounted price! :contract:

The Brain

Stuff from stuff that never was is cool. Like promo stuff for the 1940 Olympics.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.