Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

The Chinese should be the big power in that part of the world. I have no problem with that happening.

The non-Chinese people might though. Oh well what can you do?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2018, 01:24:59 PM
The Chinese should be the big power in that part of the world. I have no problem with that happening.

South Korea has been a reliable US ally for 60+ years.  One would hope that Trump won't sell them out at his first opportunity.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on April 27, 2018, 01:30:57 PM
South Korea has been a reliable US ally for 60+ years.  One would hope that Trump won't sell them out at his first opportunity.

Well it does seem the South Koreans are on board...

... it's interesting times, that's for sure. I don't have high expectations of Trump's management of US interests, but that may work out fine.

Barrister

I dunno - I read through the agreement, and it's really a whole lot of "agreements to agree", which aren't actually all that helpful.

I suspect the North's plan is to eliminate existing nuclear stores, but to maintain their capability to produce nukes in the future.  The devil is in the details on these kinds of agreements, and so far there are no details.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 27, 2018, 01:30:57 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2018, 01:24:59 PM

This is the problem with being a super power, you build up commitments and loyalties. Backing the people who sided with us in Afghanistan is the main reason we are still there as well.

But, ultimately, China is eventually going to re-assert itself as the bully in their own backyard. Not much we can do about that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

The US has the pre-eminent military force in the world.  I would think there's a fair bit they can do about it.

Tamas

Well I guess we'll see what NK is getting out of all this, indeed.

I just happen to be reading about the Munich Agreement. Hopefully this will end up better.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on April 27, 2018, 02:00:35 PM
Well I guess we'll see what NK is getting out of all this, indeed.

I just happen to be reading about the Munich Agreement. Hopefully this will end up better.

Fortunately Kim does not control a great power with one of the world's most advanced economies.

FunkMonk

Donald Trump helping to finally end the 60-year old Korean War.

One could make a semi-decent argument that Donald J Trump deserves the Nobel Peace Prize more than Barack Obama does.

My god, the times we live in.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 27, 2018, 02:33:40 PM

One could make a semi-decent argument that Donald J Trump deserves the Nobel Peace Prize more than Barack Obama does.

Okay, I know Legbiter might not post enough for you...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

There's an old Vulcan proverb: Only Trump could go to Pyongyang.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

:lol:

If he actually pulls this off, you're right!

Sophie Scholl

I'm waiting to see why this happened.  I have a hard time believing that Trump being a blowhard and threatening nuclear war when he gets bored and coked up in the wee hours of the morning is what brought this about.  If anything, I think Xi getting confirmation of his power, the US failing on the diplomatic scene and China taking up the slack the US has (intentionally) dropped, and the US already backing out of recently agreed economic treaties with South Korea are all bigger motivations.  Why any country wants to look to the US for leadership when it comes to diplomacy these days is beyond me.  There is zero reason to think that any treaty that has been agreed to or obligations set up will be held to with this administration or any to come since it only takes a slight shift in power to bring everything down.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

FunkMonk

I'm inclined to agree with you BA.

The funny thing is, if peace between the Koreas actually becomes reality, The Donald will be given at least partial credit for defusing the decades-long tension in the region, whether he deserves it or not.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Legbiter

:hmm:

We'll see.

When denuclearising Little Rocket Man has to fear his own generals more than the American ones. Also Trump will probably handle this like a Manhattan real estate deal, so expect at least one very public walkout on his part, at minimum.

Also, I think Dennis Rodman should receive consideration for any Noble peace prizes.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.