Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on August 11, 2017, 04:06:52 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 11, 2017, 03:40:58 AM
Quote from: mongers on August 10, 2017, 05:01:25 PM
Quote from: dps on August 10, 2017, 04:51:33 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 09, 2017, 04:42:03 PM

The bombing was long, leisurely and merciless, even by the assessment of America's own leaders. "Over a period of three years or so, we killed off — what — 20 percent of the population,"

Clearly not long or merciless enough, though perhaps a bit too leisurely.

Well it didn't work in Germany's case either.

I reckon you can't bomb a population into submission or get them to rise up against their masters.  :gasp:

I am not sure it didn't work with Germany unfortunately.

Elaborate.

I just did.

CountDeMoney

And in the ACW the Confederation civilians didn't lose heart in the concept of war until it came to their doorstep.

:bleeding:

#J.E.B.Toblerone

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2017, 07:30:14 AM
And in the ACW the Confederation civilians didn't lose heart in the concept of war until it came to their doorstep.

:bleeding:

#J.E.B.Toblerone

I have read many times that it was Sherman's modus operandi that broke CSA morale.

CountDeMoney

It was the Confederacy, Borat.  Switzerland is a Confederation.

Eddie Teach

It's in the United Confederation of Planets.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2017, 08:19:58 AM

Making a difference on that makes no sense. But ok, I'll remember to avoid offending Syt's sister, and you.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2017, 02:53:29 AM
Quote from: Jacob on August 10, 2017, 01:25:55 PM
I'm not asking for a verbatim quote, I'm asking for the part that makes you conclude it says it's all America's fault.

I withdraw.

Me too.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on August 11, 2017, 08:34:09 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2017, 08:19:58 AM

Making a difference on that makes no sense. But ok, I'll remember to avoid offending Syt's sister, and you.

Yeah, it does make sense, mud duck.  Stop using the wrong Eengrish.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on August 11, 2017, 04:15:38 AM
Quote from: The Brain on August 11, 2017, 04:06:52 AM
Quote from: mongers on August 10, 2017, 05:01:25 PM
Quote from: dps on August 10, 2017, 04:51:33 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 09, 2017, 04:42:03 PM

The bombing was long, leisurely and merciless, even by the assessment of America's own leaders. "Over a period of three years or so, we killed off — what — 20 percent of the population,"

Clearly not long or merciless enough, though perhaps a bit too leisurely.

Well it didn't work in Germany's case either.

I reckon you can't bomb a population into submission or get them to rise up against their masters.  :gasp:

I am not sure it didn't work with Germany unfortunately.

Elaborate.

I just did.

Germany was invaded and occupied. Boots on the ground and all that.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 11, 2017, 12:21:59 AM
Is there any other source for the 20% figure other than an off hand quote from Bombs Away Lemay 30 years later?

Outrage needs no footnotes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Is there any other source for the 20% figure other than an off hand quote from Bombs Away Lemay 30 years later?

Wikipedia says:
QuoteThe Korean War was relatively short but exceptionally bloody compared to other wars. Nearly 3 million people died. More than half of these, about 10 percent of Korea's pre-war population were civilians. This rate of civilian casualties was higher than in World War II and the Vietnam War

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea_in_the_Korean_War

Of course this is Wikipedia, so hardly authoritative but probably broadly correct. It is also, as you see, for Korea as a whole than North Korea only, so whether that implies 20% in North Korea is open to question.

This article seems pretty well sourced and puts North Korean casualties at between 12-15% of the population (so worse than Soviet casualties in WWII), though it is an estimate.

http://apjjf.org/-Charles-K.-Armstrong/3460/article.html

It also has other statistics on the level of destruction which was pretty significant by any measure, whatever the exact percentage of the population was killed.

Anyhow, the reason I posted the original article was that I was surprised by the level of destruction visited in Korea during the war not to make hard claims about 20%.

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on August 13, 2017, 07:25:58 PM

Outrage needs no footnotes.

Sorry if I triggered you :(

Ed Anger

Should have killed all those zipperheads.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 14, 2017, 08:18:02 AM
Should have killed all those zipperheads.

Looks like your president may be looking for a second kick at the can.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on August 13, 2017, 11:20:42 PM

This article seems pretty well sourced and puts North Korean casualties at between 12-15% of the population (so worse than Soviet casualties in WWII), though it is an estimate.

http://apjjf.org/-Charles-K.-Armstrong/3460/article.html.

OK - so let's say I accept that.
that means 12-15% by all causes - including disease, starvation, artillery, being purged by their own side, etc.
There is no way bombing alone could have caused 20%.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson