Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

QuoteHillary Clinton‏
@HillaryClinton

"A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." —Hillary
28. Juli 2016
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Quote from: Tamas on August 10, 2017, 02:34:14 AM
So the whole thing is America's fault then? :P

I never get these excuses. They invade a country they have no business invading. The everliving shit gets kicked out of them as a response. And suddenly they are the victims? It's not the US that killed those civilians in the 50s, it was the NK leaders.

You're on a strategy game forum where many people are interested in history. Did you know that the US carried out a strategic bombing campaign that - in the estimates of its supporters - "bombed every brick on top on another brick" and killed 20% of the population? Because I didn't, and found it interesting. That you can only contextualize that as being about whether "it's all America's fault"... well, I guess it's unsurprising so I'll just say "no, it's not."

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on August 10, 2017, 08:01:52 AM
QuoteHillary Clinton‏
@HillaryClinton

"A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." —Hillary
28. Juli 2016

Pretty much.

Er ist auf dem Fausten gebrochen.

It's especially bad when the norks are the ones to call it.
Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on August 10, 2017, 10:02:04 AM
You're on a strategy game forum where many people are interested in history. Did you know that the US carried out a strategic bombing campaign that - in the estimates of its supporters - "bombed every brick on top on another brick" and killed 20% of the population? Because I didn't, and found it interesting. That you can only contextualize that as being about whether "it's all America's fault"... well, I guess it's unsurprising so I'll just say "no, it's not."

He didn't contextualize anything.  It's right there in the article.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 10, 2017, 12:42:12 PM
He didn't contextualize anything.  It's right there in the article.

I missed the part where it says "the whole thing is America's fault". Can you point it out to me?

Is it the part where it says "the hate is not all manufactured. It is rooted in a fact-based narrative"?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on August 10, 2017, 12:56:24 PM
I missed the part where it says "the whole thing is America's fault". Can you point it out to me?

Is it the part where it says "the hate is not all manufactured. It is rooted in a fact-based narrative"?

My bad.  By contextualize I thought you meant something other than quote verbatim.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 10, 2017, 01:21:27 PM
My bad.  By contextualize I thought you meant something other than quote verbatim.

I'm not asking for a verbatim quote, I'm asking for the part that makes you conclude it says it's all America's fault.

dps

Quote from: Jacob on August 09, 2017, 04:42:03 PM

The bombing was long, leisurely and merciless, even by the assessment of America’s own leaders. “Over a period of three years or so, we killed off — what — 20 percent of the population,”

Clearly not long or merciless enough, though perhaps a bit too leisurely.

mongers

Quote from: dps on August 10, 2017, 04:51:33 PM

The bombing was long, leisurely and merciless, even by the assessment of America's own leaders. "Over a period of three years or so, we killed off — what — 20 percent of the population,"

Well it didn't work in Germany's case either.

I reckon you can't bomb a population into submission or get them to rise up against their masters.  :gasp:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on August 10, 2017, 12:50:14 AM
That is some expert level trolling by North Korea :lmfao:

I hope it doesn't end in tears - or fire and fury - but until it does this is pretty fucking funny.

I thought this was an amazing quote with regards to a US president.

QuoteA statement attributed to General Kim Rak Gyom, the head of the country's strategic forces, declared: "Sound dialogue is not possible with such a guy bereft of reason and only absolute force can work on him".
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: mongers on August 10, 2017, 05:01:25 PM

The bombing was long, leisurely and merciless, even by the assessment of America’s own leaders. “Over a period of three years or so, we killed off — what — 20 percent of the population,”

I reckon you can't bomb a population into submission or get them to rise up against their masters.  :gasp:

Worked with Japan.

The Minsky Moment

Is there any other source for the 20% figure other than an off hand quote from Bombs Away Lemay 30 years later?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on August 10, 2017, 01:25:55 PM
I'm not asking for a verbatim quote, I'm asking for the part that makes you conclude it says it's all America's fault.

I withdraw.

Tamas

The bombing was long, leisurely and merciless, even by the assessment of America's own leaders. "Over a period of three years or so, we killed off — what — 20 percent of the population,"

I am not sure it didn't work with Germany unfortunately.

The Allies didn't wage a war of extermination on the German population in WW1 and in 20 years they were ready to round two. They pummelled them into the ground, quite literally, and they have been proponents of peace since then. Same goes for Japan.

And look at Russia. They collapsed when lost the Cold War but they were not soundly beaten, now look at them, a large portion of the population itching for round two.

And in the ACW the Confederation civilians didn't lose heart in the concept of war until it came to their doorstep.

Offensive wars should never be started, but defensive wars should be fought with no holds barred.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on August 11, 2017, 03:40:58 AM

I am not sure it didn't work with Germany unfortunately.

Elaborate.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.