News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

BoJo torn apart in BBC morning programme

Started by Syt, March 25, 2013, 03:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on March 25, 2013, 09:08:01 PM
As I kinda said earlier, Eddie Mair seems despicable. Here in a sensible country, he'd find his list of potential interviewees drying up.
How is that sensible? That gives all the power to politicians.

Edit: Also to give an idea of why I love Eddie Mair, these are some clips of him hosting Newsnight after a scandal about Newsnight failing to report the Jimmy Savile story - I think 10-15 seconds is probably one of my favourite moments in news reporting :lol: :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zImwBY_Vio
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2013, 09:10:48 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 25, 2013, 09:08:01 PM
As I kinda said earlier, Eddie Mair seems despicable. Here in a sensible country, he'd find his list of potential interviewees drying up.
How is that sensible? That gives all the power to politicians.

I think it just adds more subtlety to the interactions. Besides it isn't as if a journalist pointedly beating up a politician teaches us much other than that a journalist can uncover the inconsistencies that are part of political life. On the flipside when you have a Couric who shreds a Palin, that shows something as the questions are set up to be answerable.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on March 25, 2013, 09:16:10 PM
I think it just adds more subtlety to the interactions.
The subtle tang of fear, if a journalist goes in too hard then their sources freeze up and they're fucked. I mean I don't think this sort of thing is good for journalism:
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/08/06/opinion/fleischer-quote-approval
The NYT article he links to is also a disgrace.

QuoteBesides it isn't as if a journalist pointedly beating up a politician teaches us much other than that a journalist can uncover the inconsistencies that are part of political life.
Mair didn't uncover them. They're featured in the documentary about Boris that Boris is on the show trying to plug. It's a bit like a celebrity reporter chatting with Robert Downey Jr about his autobiography, but not mentioning the drugs.

And as I say I think Mair did expose something which is that Boris doesn't answer questions. He plays an anti-politician who's rather bluff and up-front, but really he's just a witty one with a good education. He's as evasive as Hazel Blears, with Latin.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2013, 09:04:27 PM
Have you watched it? He seems fair enough in his questioning and polite throughout.

"Your a nasty piece of business, aren't you?" Is that a good example of fair questioning and being polite throughout?

You think politicians should put up with douchebag interviewers because if they're serious politicians they'll have to deal with douchebag interviewers.  It's a circular argument.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2013, 09:30:55 PM
"Your a nasty piece of business, aren't you?" Is that a good example of fair questioning and being polite throughout?
That's the one line I think he crosses. But even then he's very polite.

QuoteYou think politicians should put up with douchebag interviewers because if they're serious politicians they'll have to deal with douchebag interviewers.  It's a circular argument.
Where do I make that argument?
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2013, 09:34:15 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2013, 09:30:55 PM
That's the one line I think he crosses. But even then he's very polite.

Words and tone have to match to be polite, it isn't an either/or proposition.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 25, 2013, 09:38:50 PMWords and tone have to match to be polite, it isn't an either/or proposition.
Nonsense. You can very politely tell someone to fuck off :lol:

Actually I thought Mair was more effective because he was so polite rather than going for the sort of selfish aggression of Paxman.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2013, 09:43:02 PM
Nonsense. You can very politely tell someone to fuck off :lol:

No as then unfortunately it isn't really polite.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

I mean there are polite ways to do so, but nothing with the apparent showy gaudiness that you like. ;)

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on March 25, 2013, 09:55:45 PM
I mean there are polite ways to do so, but nothing with the apparent showy gaudiness that you like. ;)
:lol: Perhaps.

But then Mair isn't showy - Paxman and Humphreys are showy. As I say he's a bit more smiling assassin in his style, which I like.
Let's bomb Russia!

katmai

He's homosexual, isn't that gaudiness mandatory?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

Quote from: katmai on March 25, 2013, 10:13:30 PM

He's homosexual, isn't that gaudiness mandatory?

Then what am I? :angry:

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2013, 09:24:50 PM
The subtle tang of fear, if a journalist goes in too hard then their sources freeze up and they're fucked. I mean I don't think this sort of thing is good for journalism:
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/08/06/opinion/fleischer-quote-approval
The NYT article he links to is also a disgrace.

It's unfortunately widespread among German politicians that they won't authorize a written interview without reading/editing it before publication. Other areas (business, celebrities) try to do the same. It's a shame that so many journalists play along.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Brazen on March 25, 2013, 10:43:48 AM
He "misquoted him in a way that had jeopardised his academic reputation." I'd say that was pretty defamatory.

It's odd that despite having so much else in common there is such a vast gulf in the way that British and American people see libel and defamation.

As I see it there is absoltuely nothing defamatory about the statement, execept as to Edward II, who has rather more serious issues to complaint about.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson