BoJo torn apart in BBC morning programme

Started by Syt, March 25, 2013, 03:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on March 25, 2013, 09:19:25 AM
Quote from: Neil on March 25, 2013, 07:34:36 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 25, 2013, 06:29:39 AM
That's hardly a huge issue, is it?  :huh:
Yeah.  Reporter is the one job more scummy and dishonest than politician, so at least Johnson is moving up in the world.

The whole thing does seem to me like a really scrapping-the-bottom-of-the-barrel character assassination attempt.

I don't have any reason to like (or dislike) Boris, but his "crimes" seems to be rather minor. If anything, this illustrates the modern media's ridiculous tendency to expect politicians to be crystal clear paragons of virtue, with no moral failings whatsoever.

If today's media were present in the past, Churchill and Bismarck would have never won any elections.

Bismark wasn't notable for winning elections.   ;) Aside from a brief spell as member of the Landtag as a young man, he never ran in any, from what I recall ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 26, 2013, 04:54:00 PM
Quote from: Brazen on March 25, 2013, 10:43:48 AM
He "misquoted him in a way that had jeopardised his academic reputation." I'd say that was pretty defamatory.

It's odd that despite having so much else in common there is such a vast gulf in the way that British and American people see libel and defamation.

As I see it there is absoltuely nothing defamatory about the statement, execept as to Edward II, who has rather more serious issues to complaint about.

What exactly was the quote in issue?  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on March 26, 2013, 05:05:35 PM
He "misquoted him in a way that had jeopardised his academic reputation." I'd say that was pretty defamatory.

It's odd that despite having so much else in common there is such a vast gulf in the way that British and American people see libel and defamation.

As I see it there is absoltuely nothing defamatory about the statement, execept as to Edward II, who has rather more serious issues to complaint about.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/03/26/boris-johnson-i-was-wrong-to-make-up-a-quote-about-king-edward-ii-and-his-gay-lover-piers-gaveston/

QuoteThe Guardian documents that as a 23-year-old Times trainee Mr Johnson wrote a May 1988 article about archaeologists' discovery of Edward II's 14th-century palace.

He quoted Colin Lucas, giving the colourful detail that the monarch "enjoyed a reign of dissolution with his catamite, Piers Gaveston" at the palace. Gaveston was indeed rumoured to have been the king's lover – but was also beheaded in 1312, a dozen years before the palace was built.

Heavy stuff.  :wacko:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Edward II, still bringing scandal upon England 700 years later.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on March 26, 2013, 05:24:45 PM

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/03/26/boris-johnson-i-was-wrong-to-make-up-a-quote-about-king-edward-ii-and-his-gay-lover-piers-gaveston/

QuoteThe Guardian documents that as a 23-year-old Times trainee Mr Johnson wrote a May 1988 article about archaeologists' discovery of Edward II's 14th-century palace.

He quoted Colin Lucas, giving the colourful detail that the monarch "enjoyed a reign of dissolution with his catamite, Piers Gaveston" at the palace. Gaveston was indeed rumoured to have been the king's lover – but was also beheaded in 1312, a dozen years before the palace was built.

Mr. Gaveston should sue.  :lol:

The "defamation" here is that the scholar is quoted as saying something historically stupid by the rookie? Colour me unhorrified.  :lol:

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on March 25, 2013, 10:53:37 PM
Quote from: katmai on March 25, 2013, 10:13:30 PMHe's homosexual, isn't that gaudiness mandatory?

Then what am I? :angry:

You can be pretty gaudy. If you like I'll point it out in the future :)

Neil

Quote from: garbon on March 25, 2013, 10:53:37 PM
Quote from: katmai on March 25, 2013, 10:13:30 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 25, 2013, 09:55:45 PM
I mean there are polite ways to do so, but nothing with the apparent showy gaudiness that you like. ;)
He's homosexual, isn't that gaudiness mandatory?
Then what am I? :angry:
Rainbow Brite?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Scipio

Quote from: Malthus on March 26, 2013, 05:29:38 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 26, 2013, 05:24:45 PM

Mr. Gaveston should sue.  :lol:

The "defamation" here is that the scholar is quoted as saying something historically stupid by the rookie? Colour me unhorrified.  :lol:
Ossum.  I totes need to emi to Blighty and whittle the whoopsie on a brown noggin.  Or some other bullshit rhyming slang.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Gups

Quote from: Malthus on March 26, 2013, 05:00:50 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 25, 2013, 07:34:36 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 25, 2013, 06:29:39 AM
That's hardly a huge issue, is it?  :huh:
Yeah.  Reporter is the one job more scummy and dishonest than politician, so at least Johnson is moving up in the world.

The whole thing does seem to me like a really scrapping-the-bottom-of-the-barrel character assassination attempt.

I don't have any reason to like (or dislike) Boris, but his "crimes" seems to be rather minor. If anything, this illustrates the modern media's ridiculous tendency to expect politicians to be crystal clear paragons of virtue, with no moral failings whatsoever.

If today's media were present in the past, Churchill and Bismarck would have never won any elections.

Bismark wasn't notable for winning elections.   ;) Aside from a brief spell as member of the Landtag as a young man, he never ran in any, from what I recall ...

Nor was Churchill. He lost the popular vote in both the elections in which he led the Tories into.

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on March 26, 2013, 05:29:38 PMMr. Gaveston should sue.  :lol:

Seriously.

Likewise, the accusation that he lied about not having an affair is hardly a big thing - most people would have lied about it. That's why it's an affair. :P

Over here, if all politicians were as "evil" as BoJo, we would experience a marked improvement.

Neil

Quote from: Gups on March 27, 2013, 02:45:48 AM
Nor was Churchill. He lost the popular vote in both the elections in which he led the Tories into.
Who cares about the popular vote?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Agelastus

All three elections, Gups, all three.  :contract:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Valmy

That is a little different.  Churchill did not have much of a problem getting elected himself.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Gups

Quote from: Agelastus on March 27, 2013, 09:51:56 AM

All three elections, Gups, all three.  :contract:

I remembered 1950 right after I posted that but couldn't be bothered to edit.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on March 27, 2013, 07:36:30 AMWho cares about the popular vote?

Usually the people who win it but fail to carry the election.