News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Favorite Accents

Started by Queequeg, March 23, 2013, 01:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Favorite accentss, including both native and non-native speakers of a language? I'm also curious about non-English inter-linguistic accents-say Provençal.

Virginia
Welsh
French ( I :wub: Bretons)
Japanese
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

mongers

Quote from: Queequeg on March 23, 2013, 01:32:41 PM
Favorite accentss, including both native and non-native speakers of a language? I'm also curious about non-English inter-linguistic accents-say Provençal.

Virginia
Welsh
French ( I :wub: Bretons)
Japanese

South Walian accent, specifically Swansea area, on a woman obviously. 
Most Bristol variants and related Somerset, also the right authentic Liverpudlian or a proper Brummie accent, women again.

On men, Wolverhampton/Birmingham, West Dorset, Geordie and that unaffected slightly upper class Hampshire accent are fine.

Mancunian, Essex, fake Estuarine, most posh, though not RP, tend to grate on me.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Lowland South Carolina is my favorite American accent.

I like the way the Dutch sound, both when speaking English and when speaking Dutch.

Afrikaaners sound cool in English too.

Unique among the Slavs, Czechs sound cool in English.  At least Ivan Lendl and Martina Navratilova do.

Carribean variants of English are very pleasant.

Of course, if a woman is attractive, almost any kind of foreign accent is going to sound sexy.

CountDeMoney

I do prefer the lilting Carolinian accent in America.  The rest of our accents sound like shit.

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2013, 01:54:22 PM
Of course, if a woman is attractive, almost any kind of foreign accent is going to sound sexy.

Pretty much, yeah.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 23, 2013, 02:00:38 PM
I do prefer the lilting Carolinian accent in America.  The rest of our accents sound like shit.

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2013, 01:54:22 PM

Pretty much, yeah.

I don't think I go ever get past an Essex accent.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Pretty much, yeah.

I wonder if it works in reverse.  Do Italian and French Eurail Lotharia's bubble over with ecstasy when an American girl starts honking away in Jersey-accented Italian or French?

Ed Anger

SC. Women only. Preferably from Charleston.
Kentucky. but only from UK and Berea college students
French. Only the women.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Agree about Kentucky, as long as you stay in the middle of the state.

I get the same impression about Tennessee, though i haven't spent as much time there as i have in Kentucky.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2013, 02:06:55 PM
Pretty much, yeah.

I wonder if it works in reverse.  Do Italian and French Eurail Lotharia's bubble over with ecstasy when an American girl starts honking away in Jersey-accented Italian or French?

lol, Parlay voose, fughedabboudit!

I dunno how it works on the chick side but from what I understand, and only by anecdote but multiple independent sources, Aussie chicks can dig American accents.

Scipio

Basque
Scottish
Czech
Philipino
Alsace
Khosa
Lebanese

And I'm spent.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Syt

I'm partial to Irish and Scottish accents. And sexy Scandinavian women speaking German.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

What do Basque accents sound like? How is Lebanese different from other Arab accents?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Warspite

My favourite English accent is a West African one.

I also like an Anglo South African accent.

Yorkshire and Liverpudlian accents - when not strong - are also very easy on my ears.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

PDH

Circumflex.  Aigu is nice as well.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM