News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Favorite Accents

Started by Queequeg, March 23, 2013, 01:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Josquius

I like the Swedish accent, its a shame so many Swedes don't have it and those that do are ashamed of it.
French and Italian are of course always winners in women.
Thinking natively, certain brands of light Irish are nice.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

What kind of accent do those other Swedes have? :huh:

Camerus

Queequeg

Weirdly, I think Japanese can either be cool and commanding (say Watanabe) or effeminate and grating. That seems true of several East Asian accents.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

I can't decide if I like the Kiwi accent or just like Kiwis.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

German accents always sound odd to me.  The Germans I've spoken to sound like they are speaking a very precise form of English.  It might be a North German thing.  I'm told Southern German has a sing-song quality.

Also I can't tell the difference between a genuine Russian accent and someone just mumbling and slurring their word together like they are drunk.  I wonder if there is a difference.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2013, 08:19:23 PM
Off-American.
Most Dutch people seem to have that too these days.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on March 25, 2013, 02:59:14 AM
Off-American.
Most Dutch people seem to have that too these days.

:showoff:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on March 24, 2013, 10:17:34 PM
German accents always sound odd to me.  The Germans I've spoken to sound like they are speaking a very precise form of English.  It might be a North German thing.  I'm told Southern German has a sing-song quality.

No, it's pretty much all guttural with a lot of spitting.

Sheilbh

It's like the Dutch. If you're Dutch and have a clear Dutch accent when speaking English it's sort of looked down on (especially if you do the 'sch' thing). Lots of Scandis and Dutch have almost negligible accents when speaking English; you hear a slight foreign-ness but it's not identifiably Scandi or Dutch. Which is a shame because the Scandi and Dutch accents are awesome.
Let's bomb Russia!