News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ford's Indian Ads

Started by jimmy olsen, March 23, 2013, 08:39:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I assume Languish's reaction will be different than Slate's!  :hmm:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2013/03/22/ford_india_should_probably_fire_its_ad_execs_for_depicting_bound_and_gagged.html

QuoteFord India Needs to Fire Its Advertising Execs 

By Katy Waldman and Megan Wiegand
Posted Friday, March 22, 2013, at 2:19 PM

Today in horrible advertising ideas, Ford India plugs the cavernous trunk space of its Figo hatchback by depicting captive women stuffed inside. That's Silvio Berlusconi in the first image, leering at a troika of half-dressed model types. In the second ad, Paris Hilton seems to have kidnapped the Kardashians, one of whom is inexplicably wearing a bikini and high heels. As Autoblog points out, the campaign—which also features racecar driver Michael Schumacher with bound-and-gagged competitors—is being unveiled just a few days after the Indian parliament passed a major anti-rape law. Nice one, guys.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

HVC

the paris one is funny. the other one, ya not the best move.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

Slate is bad for you, Tim.

At any rate, advertising has to work in their cultural millieu.  In India, kidnapping and sexual assault are pretty common, so there's no need to dance around it to appease a bunch of foreign imbeciles that write pseudo-intellectual nonsense without value on the internet.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Zanza

Would Indians know who Berlusconi or Hilton are?

HVC

probably the ones who could afford cars.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.