News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

10 most unhappy states in the U.S.

Started by garbon, March 21, 2013, 11:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Here's apparently what they look at for life eval and emotional health.

QuoteThe Life Evaluation Index, one of six sub-components of the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, includes a self-evaluation of two items (present life situation and anticipated life situation five years from now) using the Cantril Self-Anchoring Striving Scale with steps from 0 to 10, where "0" represents the worst possible life an "10" represents the best possible life. Taken together, respondents are then classified as "thriving," "struggling," or "suffering," with "thriving" respondents evaluating their current state as a "7" or higher and their future state as a "8" or higher, while "suffering" respondents provide a "4" or lower to both evaluations.

QuoteThe Emotional Health Index, one of six sub-components of the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, includes 10 items: smiling or laughter, learning or doing something interesting, being treated with respect, enjoyment, happiness, worry, sadness, anger, stress, and diagnosis of depression.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Actually here are the rest too.

QuoteThe Physical Health Index, one of six sub-components of the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, includes 18 items, which measure: sick days in the past month, disease burden, health problems that get in the way of normal activities, obesity, feeling well-rested, daily energy, daily colds, daily flu, and daily headaches.

QuoteThe Work Environment Index, one of six sub-components of the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, includes four items: job satisfaction, ability to use one's strengths at work, supervisor's treatment (more like a boss or a partner), and is it an open and trusting work environment.

QuoteThe Healthy Behavior Index, one of six sub-components of the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, includes four items: smoking, eating healthy, weekly consumption of fruits and vegetables, and weekly exercise frequency.

QuoteThe Basic Access Index, one of six sub-components of the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, includes 13 items: access to clean water, medicine, a safe place to exercise, affordable fruits and vegetables; enough money for food, shelter, healthcare; having health insurance, having a doctor, having visited a dentist recently; satisfaction with the community, the community getting better as a place to live, and feeling safe walking alone at night.

Apart from health behavior index, I think all of those sub-indexes have at least some measures that look at proxies for happiness.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Seems there is more to Kentucky failing to make it to the NCAA tourney and losing in the first round of the NIT than just recruiting philosophy. :hmm:

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on March 21, 2013, 11:10:34 AM
It seems not everybody is as happy about living in Kentucky as Cal  is  :(

I am kind of surprised the sunny warm states are generally unhappier than the cold dark states.
I've said this over and over again, but I guess I need to say it yet one more time: a huge swath of Kentucky is in the worst part of Appalachia, which sadly has a lot in common with the Third World.  I do not live in that part of the state however.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

That selection of states seems to be based on income more than anything else.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 21, 2013, 01:23:35 PM

Probably not surprising if that correlates with various factors in what those sub-indexes look for.

fhdz

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 21, 2013, 01:23:35 PM

Maslow's hierarchy of needs provides a correlation there.
and the horse you rode in on

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on March 21, 2013, 01:19:15 PM
I've said this over and over again, but I guess I need to say it yet one more time: a huge swath of Kentucky is in the worst part of Appalachia, which sadly has a lot in common with the Third World.  I do not live in that part of the state however.

Oh for Godsake Cal I was just busting your chops.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Yeah, I figured, but there are a lot of ignorant people around here who don't know any better.... kind of how like if I pointed to some broke-ass Indian fishing village in the middle of nowhere B.C. and speculated everyone in the province must live that way, even the dudes in Vancouver. :)

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on March 21, 2013, 04:47:49 PM
Yeah, I figured, but there are a lot of ignorant people around here who don't know any better.... kind of how like if I pointed to some broke-ass Indian fishing village in the middle of nowhere B.C. and speculated everyone in the province must live that way, even the dudes in Vancouver. :)

More likely it is people meh it is Kentuck. No point wasting brain cells on what are the "good" parts and the "bad" parts. :P

Caliga

For someone that lives here, I would argue that there is indeed a point. :sleep:

Admiral Yi

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2013, 04:51:31 PM
I like Kentucky.  :)
:cool:

I am curious if all the people around here who enjoy shitting on Kentucky have ever been here. :)