News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

10 most unhappy states in the U.S.

Started by garbon, March 21, 2013, 11:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Probably no real surprises.  :lol:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/10-most-unhappy-states-in-the-us-2013-03-20?link=sfmw&mod=e2tw

QuoteAccording to a recent Gallup poll, the U.S. has shown almost no improvement in well-being in the past five years, with just a slight increase from 2011 when Americans reported the most miserable scores since the survey began. The top and bottom states have remained nearly the same. The Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, which has surveyed 1.7 million Americans since the survey was first conducted in 2008, reflects the physical and emotional health of residents in each of the 50 states. 24/7 Wall St. reviewed the scores of each state in the six categories that comprise Gallup's index to identify objective measures that impact well-being. Some of the factors include health, life expectancy, income and education level.

Though odd perhaps that unhappy = unhealthy here.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

It seems not everybody is as happy about living in Kentucky as Cal  is  :(

I am kind of surprised the sunny warm states are generally unhappier than the cold dark states.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

It's all about healthiness, not happiness.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2013, 11:14:27 AM
It's all about healthiness, not happiness.

Actually I did a little more digging on gallup's site:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/123215/Gallup-Healthways-Index.aspx
QuoteThe Well-Being Index score is an average of six sub-indexes, which individually examine life evaluation , emotional health , work environment , physical health , healthy behaviors , and access to basic necessities . The Index is calculated on a scale of 0 to 100, where a score of 100 would represent ideal wellbeing.

So though that article presented it that way, there are components of happiness in there like "life evaluation" and "emotional health".
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Yi's point still stands.  None of that stuff necessarily correlates to happiness.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

It seems like Bible Belt is where civilization in US goes to die.  Pretty much any index you can think of, Bible Belt will bring up the rear.

fhdz

Quote from: derspiess on March 21, 2013, 11:28:43 AM
Yi's point still stands.  None of that stuff necessarily correlates to happiness.

Emotional health doesn't correlate to happiness? :huh:
and the horse you rode in on

derspiess

Quote from: fahdiz on March 21, 2013, 11:31:25 AM

Depends on how it's evaluated.  Anyway most of what's mentioned in the "article" is stuff like obesity rates, smoking, economic stuff, etc. 

Seems like they could have just polled people & asked them to rate their happiness on a 10-point scale, rather than compile a bunch of irrelevant or at best semi-relevant data and decide who's happy & who's not.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

fhdz

Quote from: derspiess on March 21, 2013, 11:37:59 AM
Seems like they could have just polled people & asked them to rate their happiness on a 10-point scale, rather than compile a bunch of irrelevant or at best semi-relevant data and decide who's happy & who's not.

Happiness isn't quantifiable, whereas a lot of that other data is.

You also have a lot of people who report as happy who are not.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 21, 2013, 11:37:59 AM

Surely they did do that.  The 'life evaluation' and 'emotional health' stuff had to be simply a bunch of questions like that.

And I find it sorta funny to consider that professional data collectors are unable to calculate simple correlations, but in today's media I guess anything is possible.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: fahdiz on March 21, 2013, 11:31:25 AM

Not sure why it should.  One can be free of a mental illness and be very unhappy.  Also, one can have a mental illness (with the exception of the depressive illnesses) and be quite content.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on March 21, 2013, 11:41:34 AM
And I find it sorta funny to consider that professional data collectors are unable to calculate simple correlations, but in today's media I guess anything is possible.

They could theoretically find correlations between health and happiness, but to do so they would first need to find measures of happiness.  If they could measures of happiness, they could just report them directly.

fhdz

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 21, 2013, 11:44:16 AM
Not sure why it should.  One can be free of a mental illness and be very unhappy.  Also, one can have a mental illness (with the exception of the depressive illnesses) and be quite content.

Excellent point, but when correlated with all the other factors mentioned I would imagine there's a high probability that high-scoring people on these indexes are indeed "happy".

fhdz

Phillip V

Send unhappy people to re-education camps.