News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Phone Advice

Started by Arvoreen, March 20, 2013, 10:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arvoreen

So, I'm changing jobs shortly, and I will no longer have my company provided iPhone.

I've decided to jump into the Android world for a phone ( I bought myself an iPad to replace the company provided one).

So what do you all think.  I'll most likely go Verizon (as I already have a family plan there), but may look @ other providers  (US please) if they offer a great deal.

Originally, I thought about the S4, but don't want to wait till the end of April (I need something in the next week or so).  So I'm currently leaning towards the Note 2.

Thoughts?

ulmont

fhdz

The Note 2 is great if you do a lot of article-reading, note-taking, or gaming on your phone.
and the horse you rode in on

Grey Fox

Early impressions of the S4 are underwhelming compared to any of the S3. Don't think it's worth waiting.

No idea on carrier. Your duopoly is hard to understand.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

fhdz

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 20, 2013, 11:47:14 AM
Early impressions of the S4 are underwhelming compared to any of the S3.

You're joking, right? What early impressions are YOU reading??

Grey Fox

Quote from: fahdiz on March 20, 2013, 12:08:07 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 20, 2013, 11:47:14 AM
Early impressions of the S4 are underwhelming compared to any of the S3.

You're joking, right? What early impressions are YOU reading??

I am not. Gizmodo's Brent Rose doesn't sound impress at all.

http://gizmodo.com/5990644/samsung-galaxy-s-iv-hands-on-everything-new-is-old-again

fhdz

Gizmodo's a known Apple fanboi site.

Grey Fox

Not anymore, atleast none-more so than Engadget.

DontSayBanana

Leaning heavily toward the Note 2 for my own upgrade in a couple weeks.
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

I'm thinking Nexus 4 myself but my upgrade is still 6-9 months away.

mongers

[Seedy]

Man up, make do with semaphore.  :mad:

[/Seedy]
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zanza

If you have an iPad doesn't it make sense to get an iPhone as well for the integration?

Arvoreen

I had both before (company provided :D), but now that I actually have to get my own...I decided to put a foot in both camps.

So I ended up going with the HTC One X+.  Nice size, but not as large as the Note 2 I was thinking about, and it is much lighter than my old iPhone 4.  So far, I like it.  We'll see how it does over time :D

Thanks everyone!

Phillip V

Give us a review of your new phone.

Arvoreen

Well, I've had it for about 2 weeks now.

Things I like:
* bigger screen than my iPhone 4 had
* lighter
* thinner
* snappy interface/fast processor

I have 2 gripes at the moment:
* stock dialer sucks -- I miss dropping into 'favorites' from my iPhone, so I have yet to find a replacement
* Overall, Android seems to be glitchy.  Apps will force close, I change my default lockscreen and sometimes both new & old will kick in, and other oddities like that.  Like, changing screen timeout to 1 minute and having it mysteriously return to 15 seconds at some point without me doing it.  iOS seemed to just 'work' and Android still seems to be trying to reach that level.  I will say that the ability to customize/tweak settings is hugely enhanced though in Android.

Overall, I'm pretty happy. It should be a nice phone for the next couple of years.  Looking forward to getting 4.2 on it at some point in the future too.