Less than once a week
2 (5.9%)
Almost never
12 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on March 19, 2013, 12:54:21 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 19, 2013, 12:51:55 PM
I find exercising to be mind-numbing, and I very rarely do things I find mind-numbing.

DGuller
Octogon Champion

:hmm:
Languish is many things, but mind-numbing is not one of them.

DGuller

Quote from: fahdiz on March 19, 2013, 01:02:32 PM
I find exercising to be mind-numbing, and I very rarely do things I find mind-numbing.

You don't find that you think better after you've worked out? Interesting.
I don't find that at all.  In fact, due to expending my energy by exercising, I'm actually thinking less clearly afterwards.  There may be some benefits in the long term, if a higher level of general fitness gives you more energy, but that's hard to measure.

fhdz

Interesting. I find that whatever the biochemical reaction of exercising is - increase in dopamine, what have you - I tend to feel more focused, sharp, and calm afterward.
and the horse you rode in on

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on March 19, 2013, 11:51:41 AM
Never or at least not regularly according to your criteria.

But I do run 45-50 minutes three times a week and occasionally do other sports (such as snowboarding, football, beachvolleyball etc.)

50 minutes fits within the "one hour" criteria, imo. It wasn't supposed to be exactly 60 minutes or more - but I wanted to exclude 30 minutes or so that is probably not enough.

Zanza

Ok.

Anyway, I have no scientific basis for this, but I would expect that if you do some sports for 30 minutes every other day or even every day that's better than doing a single or even two units of 60 minutes per week.

fhdz

Quote from: Martinus on March 19, 2013, 01:41:43 PM
Quote from: Zanza on March 19, 2013, 11:51:41 AM
Never or at least not regularly according to your criteria.

But I do run 45-50 minutes three times a week and occasionally do other sports (such as snowboarding, football, beachvolleyball etc.)

50 minutes fits within the "one hour" criteria, imo. It wasn't supposed to be exactly 60 minutes or more - but I wanted to exclude 30 minutes or so that is probably not enough.

30 minutes of high-intensity interval training is quite enough.

garbon

Is Marti going Richard Simmons on us?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

This thread is making me want to go play basketball.

Zanza

Quote from: fahdiz on March 19, 2013, 01:59:45 PM
I guess that 30 minutes of high-intensity training might keep you fit and healthy, but Marty is mainly interested in burning fat so longer stretches of activity may be more helpful for him as 30 minutes may not be enough to burn much fat.

fhdz

Quote from: Zanza on March 19, 2013, 02:04:46 PM
I guess that 30 minutes of high-intensity training might keep you fit and healthy, but Marty is mainly interested in burning fat so longer stretches of activity may be more helpful for him as 30 minutes may not be enough to burn much fat.

People are quite mistaken about the role of exercise in weight loss.

You don't exercise to burn fat. It happens to be a side effect that you burn calories by expending energy, but unless you're running marathons you will never fucking run far enough to run off that cheeseburger and fries.

The purpose of exercise in weight loss is twofold: the development of lean muscle mass, which *replaces* the fat you're shedding by eating properly (thus increasing your gains overall, making you stronger and more healthy, and making you look better than if you just dieted without exercise), and the stimulation of the metabolism, which allows you to use the calories you ingest more efficiently.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Zanza on March 19, 2013, 02:04:46 PM

Like most things, it depends. 30 minutes of HIIT is going to burn way more calories than biking for a hour.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

katmai

20min warm up on treadmill
25 mins of weights rotating upper and lower body by days.
15-20 cool down on treadmill or stationary bike.
Do that 5 times a week.
That is my winter in Alaska workout.
Planning to try skijoring next winter so my dog can benefit as well.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

mongers

Quote from: fahdiz on March 19, 2013, 01:02:32 PM

You don't find that you think better after you've worked out? Interesting.

There maybe be something to that, perhaps.

Certainly whilst I'm out on a bike, I find I do quite a bit of thinking, seems to provide quite a bit of lateral and unexpected inputs into the process.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2013, 12:12:52 PM
Usually, three times a week - twice at the gym and once on the weekend (this winter, cross country skiing).

Edit: I'm proud to say I worked myself up to doing the 10K "hard" course at the ski place I go to - Hardwood Hills.  :) There is still one hill I can't get down without wiping out though - the "waterfall". It is very steep and has three big bumps on the hill, and the first two I can do just fine but the third always throws me.  :(

That sounds impressive and rather cool.   :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Never, in the winter. When spring finally comes I'll go out a few days a week for 2-3 hours on my bike.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk