News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is EU3 fun yet?

Started by Faeelin, May 21, 2009, 05:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Solmyr on February 21, 2010, 07:42:38 AM
Does anyone know what mod gives that fancy Gothic font for the map province names that I see in some screenshots, and would it mess up the checksum for MP games if I used it?

I'm not even sure that it's a mod--it might just be the German-language version.

Viking

Does anyone know what mod gives that fancy Gothic font for the map province names that I see in some screenshots, and would it mess up the checksum for MP games if I used it?

On another note, I started a Holland AAR aiming to form Netherlands, on the Paradox forum here if anyone's interested: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461801

The Caesar/Augustus event is fucked since it produces either 335 or 533 kings ONLY. Never any better. They are almost the worst monarchs in the game you can get.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Pishtaco

That sounds like the Hand Drawn Map mod: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385074
As long as it only changes the graphics, I believe it won't be a problem with MP games.

I don't know why anyone would want a Gothic font on the map, though.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Pishtaco on February 22, 2010, 12:26:37 PM

That sounds like the Hand Drawn Map mod: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385074
As long as it only changes the graphics, I believe it won't be a problem with MP games.

It's true.  Your mod is  :wub:  I remembered when you posted it back when EU3 first came out and within 3 minutes of first playing the game and seeing the map in person went to download it.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

sbr

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on February 22, 2010, 03:25:20 PM
Quote from: Pishtaco on February 22, 2010, 12:26:37 PM

It's true.  Your mod is  :wub:  I remembered when you posted it back when EU3 first came out and within 3 minutes of first playing the game and seeing the map in person went to download it.

I bought the game so I could use that mod.  I had no interest in EU3 before I saw the HDM mod.

Lucidor

Pishtaco is the author of the Hand Drawn Map mod? It's beautiful.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Lucidor on February 22, 2010, 05:04:41 PM
Pishtaco is the author of the Hand Drawn Map mod? It's beautiful.
No, he did http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=359352 this one, which I like better personally.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Berkut

Questions:

• How do I prosecute a siege? Seems like no matter how many troops I have, the city always says "Will hold out for years". How many do I need? Should I ever assault (I've tried this, and failed every time).
  • How can I tell what tech level I am, and can I modify how this changes? Seems like all my city improvements are locked due to inadequate tech level, but I cannot see what the levels are anywhere, or how to change them.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Viking

Quote from: Berkut on February 22, 2010, 09:29:00 PM
Questions:

• How do I prosecute a siege? Seems like no matter how many troops I have, the city always says "Will hold out for years". How many do I need? Should I ever assault (I've tried this, and failed every time).
  • How can I tell what tech level I am, and can I modify how this changes? Seems like all my city improvements are locked due to inadequate tech level, but I cannot see what the levels are anywhere, or how to change them.

1. Leave a screening force of 1 or 2 regiments at each target and then move and assault with a larger army

2. Leave a sieging force of 5 or 6 regiments and let each siege complete itself

3. Move and assault with a large army 10x or 20x the size of the garrisons and/or good leader

If the defence says "Can hold out for years" then it will. But as time passes it will reduce to 12 months, 9 months and eventually "any day". I think it is a MTTH thing that determines if the town surrenders.

You can assault, but only when you have a breach or 10x numbers.

You can see your own tech level in the ledger, but most easily in the budget screen where you adjust the budget sliders.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Berkut

OK, found the tech levels.

Wow. My tech levels are terrible, and taking decades to improve. How do I speed that up?

What does my navy do, other than fight naval battles? Is there something I have to do to blockade, for example, or is it automatic? Is blockading a good way to punish those who would dare to attack me?

0 rows returned

Viking

Quote from: Berkut on February 22, 2010, 09:57:03 PM
OK, found the tech levels.

Wow. My tech levels are terrible, and taking decades to improve. How do I speed that up?

What does my navy do, other than fight naval battles? Is there something I have to do to blockade, for example, or is it automatic? Is blockading a good way to punish those who would dare to attack me?

Get richer. That speeds up tech development. You gain most income from CB shield, own culture, own religion same continent provinces. Plus if you look at the tooltip over the income of the province you can see the base values and the factors which affect income. But most importantly tech cost is a function of number of provinces. So, having lots of crappy provinces will mean you fall behind. Having only a few rich ones means you forge ahead. If you are eastern (poland, russia, hungary, wallachia), muslim (well duh), oriental (china, india), african or american you have different tech speeds.

You can speed up tech development by having a border with a more modern nation (neighbor bonus), westernising (if you are not latin) or building manufactories (you need tech to build them though). But remember, the game goes up to tech 60 (iirc) and you have (1820-1399= 421) 421 years to get there, 7 years is the average.

From naval 9 (iirc) you can blockade. Fleets fight battles and transport armies. You get a lot of prestige by winning naval battles and the opponents war capacity (the AI's estimate of it's own ability to fight you) will be heavily reduced if you don't have land border and you sink his fleet. Once you reach 9 you can blockade. Blockade severely reduces trade and production from coastal provinces, not to mention contributing to war score and war exhaustion. Another important factor is that if you have overseas provinces you only get 100% income if you have at least 1 ship per overseas province. I believe that the blockading fleet also takes a share of the income reduction it causes, but I'm not sure.

Sophie Scholl

Do you think a Paradox game will ever be able to have an ai that doesn't require insane cheating regarding manpower and support limits?  Seriously.  Every game Paradox has ever made that I've played has this problem, and it's just silly.  Lithuania can field 60+ regiments no problem, meanwhile I'm busting my bank with a small fraction of that when I own all of Sweden, Norway, and Muscowy. :rolleyes:

Vince

Any tips on playing the Iroquois?   I conquered the Huron and set myself up to modernize but as soon as I border a European power they DOW on me and proceed to steamroll me.

ulmont

Berkut

So I've been playing England, started with the 1399 campaign, trying to figure the game out.

Things I've noticed:

It is a lot "easier" than I expected. I basically stayed off the Continent, and force Vassalized Scotland, then conquered and annexed Ireland, both because I had missions to do so. Neither was hard though.

France keeps declaring war on me. I guess they have that Reconqusita CB forever or something? I've lost all the Continental posessions except Calais, and I imagine I will be losing that as well at some point. I've only tried to fight France once, and lost my army in the first battle, so that didn't go well.

Got into a war with brittany over Ireland though, and beat the crap out of them. Didn't annex them though, since I figured that would just give France another place to kick the crap out of me.

The naval system is dissapointing - I was hoping to have naval fights, and so far the only time I get into a naval fight is when I force a fleet to sea by taking their harbor by siege.

Anyone have a decent guide on the sliders and managing them? No real idea what is desirable there - centralization seems good, other than that, just kind of going by what seems desirable from my 21st century ideals. If I am limited to a max centralization of 0, does that mean that if I am at 0 and an event fires that would give me +1, it won't actually happen, or is the max only relative to what I can adjust via moving the slider?

0 rows returned