And we're back!

Main Menu

Is EU3 fun yet?

Started by Faeelin, May 21, 2009, 05:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 03, 2010, 07:17:38 PM
Quote from: Viking on February 03, 2010, 06:11:29 PM
As England, I'd let myself be guided by the events early on. The conquer scotland, conquer ireland and retake normandie are all very valuable events as they give good numbers of CB shields. But the most valuable one is the Occupy Paris event which gives you shields on all of Gaul.

:o I never got that one! I guess I took to long to conquer Ireland since I was so preoccupied with fighting France. :(

with the conquer ireland one I'd suggest that once you get it you actually carry out the first round of conquests reducing any Irish minors to OPM status if there are any minors with more than one province. Then CANCELLING the mission only to complete the mission once you get it next time round, unless you are willing to wait 5 years.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on February 03, 2010, 07:55:59 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 03, 2010, 07:17:38 PM
Quote from: Viking on February 03, 2010, 06:11:29 PM
As England, I'd let myself be guided by the events early on. The conquer scotland, conquer ireland and retake normandie are all very valuable events as they give good numbers of CB shields. But the most valuable one is the Occupy Paris event which gives you shields on all of Gaul.

:o I never got that one! I guess I took to long to conquer Ireland since I was so preoccupied with fighting France. :(

with the conquer ireland one I'd suggest that once you get it you actually carry out the first round of conquests reducing any Irish minors to OPM status if there are any minors with more than one province. Then CANCELLING the mission only to complete the mission once you get it next time round, unless you are willing to wait 5 years.

Ah, well what's done is done. It's makes it harder and more realistic this way.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Vince

So it's about 1500 and as Burgundy I've conquered about a 1/3 of France.  Now for some damn reason when I fight France entire armies of mine are getting completely shattered. 

France's monarch is better at MIL than mine (like 8 to 5 I think) and we have the same land tech level.  Should I have a general in all of my armies or what?

DGuller

What's your typical army composition?

Vince

Generally each army is 15k in troops about 4k in cavalry the rest in infantry.  I have latin knights and whatever the infantry Burgundy gets at 11.   

DGuller

That should do.  The one possibility is that France's monarch is an uber-leader.  The military rating is not what's directly relevant, their stats as a military leader are (especially shock value in that period).  The DIP 8 monarch may well be a shock 5 meat grinder, which is very bad news for any army in his path.  Another possibility is that you may be on the offensive too often, which incurs even bigger penalties in HTTT.

Sophie Scholl

The ability of the computer to always successfully finish a siege with 1000 troops faster than I can with 21,000 is getting rather annoying. :grr:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

DGuller

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on February 04, 2010, 07:44:14 PM
The ability of the computer to always successfully finish a siege with 1000 troops faster than I can with 21,000 is getting rather annoying. :grr:
Unless you brought some cannons along, the number of troops does nothing to speed up the siege.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on February 04, 2010, 07:52:05 PM
Unless you brought some cannons along, the number of troops does nothing to speed up the siege.
Although if he has 21,000 men he should just storm the castle.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Offensive vs. Defensive?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sophie Scholl

Playing as Burgundy, so fairly strongly offensive.  I'm presuming that's a handicap in sieges or something?  Storming rarely works for me, even with breaches.  It takes like 2 or 3 tries usually, even with 10/12 to 1 advantage in infantry v. defenders.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on February 04, 2010, 09:06:18 PM
Playing as Burgundy, so fairly strongly offensive.  I'm presuming that's a handicap in sieges or something?  Storming rarely works for me, even with breaches.  It takes like 2 or 3 tries usually, even with 10/12 to 1 advantage in infantry v. defenders.
At tech 11 and full morale it should at most take you two tries if it's 1st level fortress. :unsure:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Vince

So it took a few tries but I finally have a good Byzantium game going.  Timur shattered the Ottomans and I managed to pick up the pieces and restore the pre-Manzikert borders. 

dps

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on February 04, 2010, 09:06:18 PM
Playing as Burgundy, so fairly strongly offensive.  I'm presuming that's a handicap in sieges or something? 

It doesn't directly handicap your sieges, but it'll give the enemy bonuses when sieging your fortresses.

Solmyr

Does anyone know what mod gives that fancy Gothic font for the map province names that I see in some screenshots, and would it mess up the checksum for MP games if I used it?

On another note, I started a Holland AAR aiming to form Netherlands, on the Paradox forum here if anyone's interested: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461801