News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is EU3 fun yet?

Started by Faeelin, May 21, 2009, 05:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

Inquiring minds would like to know; I downloaded In Nomine and couldn't, well, enjoy the game because it felt too much like a crappy Civilization. So I'm curious if there are any mods that make it, well, fun.

If there are any other games along those lines that are grand-strategyish, I'd welcome those too.

Queequeg

With MMP it is a blast.  Currently trying to purify India of Muhammadans as Rajputana (all the Spanish speakers snicker), though I might switch over to Bihar as they can form Hindustan a lot easier, and a Rajasthan-based Hindustan would be awkward in some respects.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

It is still waaaaay too slow for me to actually enjoy playing a few games.  If I want to play a game of EU3 I still need to set aside a few weeks.

Until I get a new much faster computer it will remain on the shelf for me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HisMajestyBOB

I'm waiting for MMP2 before I buy IN, but MM and NA is great fun, so I imagine it's fun now, too.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Barrister

I've been playing around with it a bit - it seems fun... :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

I'm still waiting for them to offically release the patch that has been in beta since novemeber. :mad:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

sbr

I had quite a bit of fun in my first game as Castille, but I couldn't play more than 60-70 years in my second as Austria. :shrug:

Alcibiades

When is mmg2 supposed to be out?  Probably a month or so after that is released will be the next time I play.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Norgy

Josquius

Fuck gameplay issues. I just wish they'd release a patch that makes it run a decent speed <_<
██████
██████
██████

Faeelin

Quote from: Barrister on May 22, 2009, 10:31:22 AM

Well, my main beefs were the ridiculous "Knights of Malta/Genoese/Luxembourg" New World in 1510, the slow speed, and the fact that none of the nations seemed to possess any... character, I guess?

dps

Quote from: Faeelin on May 23, 2009, 02:28:41 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 22, 2009, 10:31:22 AM

Well, my main beefs were the ridiculous "Knights of Malta/Genoese/Luxembourg" New World in 1510, the slow speed, and the fact that none of the nations seemed to possess any... character, I guess?

With IN, you see much less colonization by European minors, and nations do have more character. 

Game speed has always been fine on my system.

I Killed Kenny

Barrister

So I'm playing EU3 now, and finding that it is indeed fun.

EU3 complete, all patches, no mods.

Playing around as Venice - surprisingly I never played Venice in any previous incarnation.  Having fun, in particular by trying to be much more "Venetian" in my game style - heavy investments in trading, otherwise less militaristic.  Again, much different from how I usually played previous incarnations (which was either heavily militaristic/narrowminded, or a heavy colonizing game).

A few questions have popped into mind though:

-is there any way to reduce inflation?  In order to finance the few wars I did engage in, as well as to be able to utilize all of my merchants I have let inflation run up to 5% or so.  Not bad, but typically I like to keep it very close to zero.  It was governors in EU2 if I recall...

-you start out with a few off-culture provinces, such as Crete and Athens.  I wonder about just releasing them as vassals so I can maximize my tech spending.  Thoughts?

-Finally, once I hit 1500 I'm considering trying out the colonizing game.  Will I get any explorers?  Or do I need to start buttering up the Spanish/portuguese for some map trading?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grallon

EUIII without MMP - soon MMP2 - is like a toast without butter.   Those complaining about lack of depth or personality or flavor need MMP.  Simply check the sub-forum devoted to that mod - there are 10 previews of the new incarnation of the mod.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel