News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Spotify - where's the catch?

Started by Martinus, March 17, 2013, 03:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: Gups on March 20, 2013, 12:17:01 PM
You do know that Justin Bieber was made rich by a professional talent scount and then signed to a major label before he became rich?

You're getting in the way of his original point, which is that he has better taste than everyone else. Shame on you.
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

Quote from: fahdiz on March 20, 2013, 11:48:39 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 20, 2013, 11:44:18 AM
That's exactly the kind of thinking that made Justin Bieber rich

Which means that the kind of thing you're talking about has not been a part of pop music taste-making process since the days of the crooners.

I actually wasn't talking about pop music, but I can see that you're using this as an excuse to be elite, not make an actual argument. So have at it :)

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: fahdiz on March 20, 2013, 12:18:20 PM
You do know that Justin Bieber was made rich by a professional talent scount and then signed to a major label before he became rich?

You're getting in the way of his original point, which is that he has better taste than everyone else. Shame on you.

I thought his point was that he has better taste than teenage girls. Probably true.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Record companies and agents are, on the whole, interested in money a little else. That was true before the internet age as much as it is now.

Sure, the difference being that before what mattered was how you sounded on the radio.  Now what matters is how many likes you can draw.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

I apologize.
Apparently someone has seized my internet identity and been sending you messages without my knowledge.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 20, 2013, 01:42:54 PM
Sure, the difference being that before what mattered was how you sounded on the radio.  Now what matters is how many likes you can draw.

You don't get likes if people don't like your sound (or perhaps presentation as there is the visual component for some artists).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 20, 2013, 01:45:04 PM

I apologize.
Apparently someone has seized my internet identity and been sending you messages without my knowledge.

I forgive you :)

garbon

Also I think fhdz is right that you're being a bit snobby. We've a long history of popular music coming out of people with little talent.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on March 20, 2013, 01:47:48 PM
Also I think fhdz is right that you're being a bit snobby.

One person's snobby is another's person giving enough of a crap to care.

QuoteWe've a long history of popular music coming out of people with little talent.

No reason to encourage it further.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

To a large extent, quality will endure, so give it 50 years and we'll be able to see what was good in today's pop music.

For all of the good stuff that came out of the 60s and which is lionized today, there was a fair bit of dreadful stuff that the sands of time have washed over, but dig a bit and you can still find reference and examples of it; for instance teen bands every bit as dreaful as some of today's pap products.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on March 20, 2013, 01:59:25 PM
To a large extent, quality will endure, so give it 50 years and we'll be able to see what was good in today's pop music.

For all of the good stuff that came out of the 60s and which is lionized today, there was a fair bit of dreadful stuff that the sands of time have washed over, but dig a bit and you can still find reference and examples of it; for instance teen bands every bit as dreaful as some of today's pap products.

Awful stuff like the Beatles, the Beach Boys, Dion, Del Shannon, Herman's Hermits...

I guess there wasn't much market in the early-mid 60s for rock music that wasn't teen-focused.  :hmm:

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 20, 2013, 02:03:10 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 20, 2013, 01:59:25 PM

Awful stuff like the Beatles, the Beach Boys, Dion, Del Shannon, Herman's Hermits...

I guess there wasn't much market in the early-mid 60s for rock music that wasn't teen-focused.  :hmm:

I think this says more about your 'thought processes' than it does about my comment.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 20, 2013, 01:42:54 PM

The practical difference eludes me.  You were judged by how many people called the station requesting your songs and how many albums you sold.  That seems like just more committed versions of 'likes'.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

My thought processes are more interesting than your comment.  :showoff:

But it is relevant to your comment in that both the good and bad of the day were teen bands. The oldsters listened to Frank Sinatra and Glen Miller. Nowadays, "teen band" is synonymous with lukewarm studio-created blandness sold more by how they look than how they sound.

fhdz

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 20, 2013, 01:49:31 PM
One person's snobby is another's person giving enough of a crap to care.

:lol: :hug: