And we're back!

Main Menu

Spotify - where's the catch?

Started by Martinus, March 17, 2013, 03:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 18, 2013, 05:26:09 PM
Any reason to switch from Rhapsody?
Seems to me that Spotify does better in areas I don't care about like social sharing of playlists, while doing less well on things like artist information that are more useful to me.

Probably not for you, but can't say as Rhapsody only appears to be available in the U.S.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Gups

Quote from: mongers on March 18, 2013, 07:08:09 PM
I guess the breath of their catalogue would be key for me.

Someone should do a comparison website for the streaming services, showing which acts and labels are on which; it could then generate an income on click-thru.

They are all pretty much the same in terms of breadth. Artists and lables either allow streaming or they don't.

OttoVonBismarck

There's actually no reason to pay more per song to "support the artist." The job of a consumer is the get the best deal, the end result for everyone else in the production chain is irrelevant.

Further, very few artists in history have made a living selling recorded music. I'd say the golden age of albums/records ended some time in the early 2000s and basically from the first big album hits til the end of the era I'd wager fewer than 150 people in the industry per year were actually making enough off of album sales alone to replace all other forms of income.

Since time immemorial artists have made money by performing, the recorded music stuff was an anomaly during a period when technology made it possible. Artists have certainly made money off of new media when they've gotten creative, but the overall picture for them is grim. Every person I know in the music world regularly posts long news articles onto facebook talking about how the "promise of iTunes" and other paid online distribution methods has meant far less money for artists than the old system. That's the trend, not the few outliers who have been able to convince people to give them money (the equivalent of fancy begging on the street with an instrument case open.)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 19, 2013, 07:56:38 AM
Further, very few artists in history have made a living selling recorded music. I'd say the golden age of albums/records ended some time in the early 2000s and basically from the first big album hits til the end of the era I'd wager fewer than 150 people in the industry per year were actually making enough off of album sales alone to replace all other forms of income.

On the flip side, the proliferation of digital media and teh intrawebs have brought countless artists to modern audiences--from waiting tables to awards ceremonies within a matter of months--that never would've been heard from in the old days, languishing in bars, arts festivals and county fairs for years.

Martinus

Quote from: Jaron on March 17, 2013, 07:07:09 PM
There is also songs you might want to listen to that aren't on Spotify. I don't think I've found much of the Eagles, Pink Floyd, and I can't find Taylor Swift's Red album.

It has the entire Dead Can Dance and Therion discography so I'm happy. :P

Also, Taylor Swift? Wtf?

Warspite

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 19, 2013, 08:10:27 AM
On the flip side, the proliferation of digital media and teh intrawebs have brought countless artists to modern audiences

Who?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Admiral Yi

The Obama Girl and PsyOps are the only ones I can think of.

garbon

Justin Bieber and Soulja Boy are two though clearly I don't endorse their music.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quick search also nets Lily Allen, Sean Kingston and The Arctic Monkeys.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Gups on March 19, 2013, 07:56:28 AM
Quote from: mongers on March 18, 2013, 07:08:09 PM
I guess the breath of their catalogue would be key for me.

Someone should do a comparison website for the streaming services, showing which acts and labels are on which; it could then generate an income on click-thru.

They are all pretty much the same in terms of breadth. Artists and lables either allow streaming or they don't.

:thumbsup:

Good to know, but too many bands missing to temp be to sign up.
Plus the being tied to a cloub/internet service for music has downsides for me.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 19, 2013, 08:10:27 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 19, 2013, 07:56:38 AM

On the flip side, the proliferation of digital media and teh intrawebs have brought countless artists to modern audiences--from waiting tables to awards ceremonies within a matter of months--that never would've been heard from in the old days, languishing in bars, arts festivals and county fairs for years.

You're still old enough to remember the days when labels had real talent scouts or when an influential DJ could help make a band.  Whatever the drawbacks of that system, it was a little more reliable in identifying people with actual talent for musical performance as opposed to maximizing social media connections.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

fhdz

:huh: The person who determines whether or not a person likes a band is, well, the person listening.

One man's "actual talent for musical performance" is "stuffy overthought bullshit" to another.
and the horse you rode in on

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: fahdiz on March 20, 2013, 11:13:25 AM
:huh: The person who determines whether or not a person likes a band is, well, the person listening.

One man's "actual talent for musical performance" is "stuffy overthought bullshit" to another.

That's exactly the kind of thinking that made Justin Bieber rich
Singing and playing muscial instruments is a skill and doing it well like any other skill requires talent and thousands of hours of practice.
To think otherwise is to demean the musicians who perform for their living.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

fhdz

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 20, 2013, 11:44:18 AM

Which means that the kind of thing you're talking about has not been a part of pop music taste-making process since the days of the crooners.

I actually wasn't talking about pop music, but I can see that you're using this as an excuse to be elite, not make an actual argument. So have at it :)
and the horse you rode in on

Gups

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 20, 2013, 11:44:18 AM
Singing and playing muscial instruments is a skill and doing it well like any other skill requires talent and thousands of hours of practice.
To think otherwise is to demean the musicians who perform for their living.

You do know that Justin Bieber was made rich by a professional talent scount and then signed to a major label before he became rich?

Record companies and agents are, on the whole, interested in money a little else. That was true before the internet age as much as it is now.