Would you consider your spouse getting fat a good reason for divorce?

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 13, 2013, 03:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assuming he/she wasn't fat when you married.

Yes
30 (60%)
No
13 (26%)
I'll have a Jumbo Jack with extra ketchup, large fries and a Diet Coke
7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Legbiter

Quote from: Iormlund on March 19, 2013, 03:24:48 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 19, 2013, 01:11:01 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 19, 2013, 12:20:16 PM
Yeah, like your meal plan is boring as hell. I'd give it up after about a week, IF I lasted that long. Rule #1 of any diet plan: It has to be something you can and will stick with.
That IMO highlights one of the big problems.  People find healthy meals boring, and treat eating them like taking a medicine.  They're brought up on exactly the kind of foods that are terrible for them.  Of course healthy eating is not going to work long-term in that case without some kind of strong psychological reinforcement.

In that sense I feel that I'm very lucky, because I actually enjoy eating salads and vegetables, feel mostly indifferent about deep-fried food, and abhor overly complex fatty meals.  Few things beat a fresh Greek salad with a good dressing based on extra virgin olive oil.  If I could only loose that sweet tooth, I would be golden.

I had never really thought about it, but a gal pointed to me the other day how I eat unusually healthy food for the typical bachelor. My diet hasn't come as a conscious decision, though. I guess I'm fortunate not to like fast food. My diet is typically based on rice, legumes and dark vegetables (now that I can finally eat them), eggs, lots of olive oil and some meat or fish 5 or so times a week -- mostly pork, chicken, salmon, tuna, megrim and swordfish. Also, no alcohol.

Perhaps because of this I'm one of 2 people in the office without cholesterol, triglycerides or blood pressure problems -- and the other guy is a physical portent (used to be a pro athlete).

I eat pretty similar to you (minus the legumes) and I can't fault the results. I'm not that fond of salad per se, I'll have moderate portions of it and often use it as a fat delivery veichle by drenching it in EVOO or sautéing them in the pan. But the rabbit food in and of itself is just condiment around the steak.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

Quote from: Valmy on March 19, 2013, 03:33:01 PM
Eh it is not like you need a good reason to leave a girlfriend.  It is not like you are married.  I mean they were what...23?  Besides the whole depression and developing physical problems sounds like a bit of a buzz kill.

He did the right thing.

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 19, 2013, 03:34:51 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 19, 2013, 03:27:10 PM
Berk, you can definitely tell what causes sleep apnea. It's part of the tests they run.

Actually no.  The tests they run can indicate that sleep apnea exists but  the condition has multiple causes and in people who are obese the obesity itself is one of the contributing causes.

If by test they run you mean the say, hey you are fat and that is one of the things that causes sleep anpnea then yes that is something they will say - the doctor will then recommend that the patient lose wieght.

So how come when my son was diagnosed with it, they said that it was central sleep apnea due to a signal in his brain that was shorting and causing his body to stop breathing while he slept? And how is it that people are regularly diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea due to enlarged tonsils and adnoids? And there are those who are regularly diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea due to too much fat on their necks causing the obstruction?

When it's fat, they say, "Lose weight and it will go away." But that doesn't mean that every person who has obstructive sleep apnea will get better if they lose weight. And yes, the doctor can usually tell one way or the other if it will help.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

I wonder if Meri would be so passionate about this if a man wrote the article about his experiences being fat.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on March 19, 2013, 03:33:36 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on March 19, 2013, 03:16:04 PM

Fat acceptance = Delusion and narcissism given a spin on the female rationalization hamster wheel.

That's pretty much it.

Right. It couldn't possibly be that there are those out there who just don't find overweight people as repugnant as others.

:rolleyes:

I'm done. You all win. Fat people should be put to death to save the rest of us from having to deal with their obvious and horrible medical issues, and just their plain disgusting forms. Extra weight means a horrible death, getting worse for every extra pound that's carried. Better to end it while they're just 10 pounds overweight and be done with it. That will save you poor, overly athletic and healthy men from having to deal with any unsightly jiggle, too.

Peace out.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 19, 2013, 03:44:59 PM
I wonder if Meri would be so passionate about this if a man wrote the article about his experiences being fat.

:lol:  "You'll take the abuse and like it, Mister!!"
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on March 19, 2013, 03:49:59 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 19, 2013, 03:33:36 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on March 19, 2013, 03:16:04 PM

Fat acceptance = Delusion and narcissism given a spin on the female rationalization hamster wheel.

That's pretty much it.

Right. It couldn't possibly be that there are those out there who just don't find overweight people as repugnant as others.

:rolleyes:

I'm done. You all win. Fat people should be put to death to save the rest of us from having to deal with their obvious and horrible medical issues, and just their plain disgusting forms. Extra weight means a horrible death, getting worse for every extra pound that's carried. Better to end it while they're just 10 pounds overweight and be done with it. That will save you poor, overly athletic and healthy men from having to deal with any unsightly jiggle, too.

Peace out.

That's a very odd response, Meri. I don't see how that fits into the tenor or context of anything discussed in this thread.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Legbiter on March 19, 2013, 03:36:37 PM
I eat pretty similar to you (minus the legumes) and I can't fault the results. I'm not that fond of salad per se, I'll have moderate portions of it and often use it as a fat delivery veichle by drenching it in EVOO or sautéing them in the pan. But the rabbit food in and of itself is just condiment around the steak.
When I was little, some adults actually did call me a rabbit, because I liked eating raw cabbage and carrots.  :blush:

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 19, 2013, 03:54:21 PM
That's a very odd response, Meri. I don't see how that fits into the tenor or context of anything discussed in this thread.

Spicey and Legbiter trolled her good there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on March 19, 2013, 03:55:39 PM
When I was little, some adults actually did call me a rabbit, because I liked eating raw cabbage and carrots.  :blush:

Well, I certainly hope it wasn't from your habit of shitting little pellets of poo all over the floor whenever you felt like it.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on March 19, 2013, 03:55:39 PM

Ah, nothing like Eastern European parenting when it comes to instilling proper dieting habits.

Legbiter

Naw, if anyone actually hates fatties it's the "fat acceptance" enablers.

Martinus

Quote from: Legbiter on March 19, 2013, 03:58:36 PM

Fat acceptance guys are actually shitheads and uggos with low self esteem who deliberately lower their standards in the hope of a pity fuck (and knowing they are unable to score with the chicks they actually find attractive, anyway).

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on March 19, 2013, 04:00:06 PM

Fat acceptance guys are actually shitheads and uggos with low self esteem who deliberately lower their standards in the hope of a pity fuck (and knowing they are unable to score with the chicks they actually find attractive, anyway).

I don't think that's true. I think chasers (at least on the gay side) actually find those of bigger builds to be attractive.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on March 19, 2013, 04:01:35 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 19, 2013, 04:00:06 PM

I don't think that's true. I think chasers (at least on the gay side) actually find those of bigger builds to be attractive.

I think it may be different for gays (although, again, skinny chasers are rare, so it points towards self-image/lower standards, too).