Man who wrestled shark away from kids fired for missing work

Started by garbon, March 13, 2013, 01:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 13, 2013, 10:20:59 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2013, 10:11:40 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 13, 2013, 09:51:49 PM
You going to tell me that employers don't look upon something like "stress-related" with anything less than disdain and contempt?

I think they look upon employees disdain and contempt.
Let's not do down the Pant & Dowlais Boys & Girls Club.

You lost me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on March 13, 2013, 01:21:52 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2013, 01:00:43 PMThey should have congratulated me on lying and skipping work!

He was on stress leave.

You're familiar with that sort of thing - isn't going to relax at a beach the kind of thing you're supposed to do on stress leave?

I wouldn't exactly call wrestling sharks "relaxing".  :rolleyes:

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2013, 04:18:02 PM
The other problem with the Australian beach stress therapy narrative is: how did Captain Scammy know how long the stress was going to last when he bought his tickets?

This is actually the part that is not controversial - if it works as it does in Poland, if you get a medical leave, the doctor ordains you X number of days for your leave. If, at the end of the period, you still feel bad, you can go to the doctor to have it extended, but the duration of the leave is not shortened because "you felt better already".

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 13, 2013, 06:12:07 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 13, 2013, 06:05:26 PM
Now, like I said, I don't really know what the UK parameters for stress leave and appropriate therapy are, but it's pretty clear that the languish consensus concurs with the guy's former employer that beach vacations are inappropriate.

For the Americans, there's no such thing as "stress leave".  You're expected to work until you die.  Anything less is considered a cop-out, and if you mention something like "stress", you're probably a black person.

Well, same is true for Poles. I mean just look at the Polish Pope vs. the German Pope.

Stress-related leaves happen in Poland but for most employers it either means that the employee is a scammer or that he is insane - which means you want to get rid of him either way. People usually come up with such bullshit leaves when they fear they may be getting fired and want to postpone that (under Polish law, it is much more difficult to fire someone who is on a legitimate sick leave, and you get paid - first by the employer and then by the insurer - when you are on the sick leave so you don't lose your remuneration).

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on March 14, 2013, 03:44:55 AM
The other problem with the Australian beach stress therapy narrative is: how did Captain Scammy know how long the stress was going to last when he bought his tickets?

This is actually the part that is not controversial - if it works as it does in Poland, if you get a medical leave, the doctor ordains you X number of days for your leave. If, at the end of the period, you still feel bad, you can go to the doctor to have it extended, but the duration of the leave is not shortened because "you felt better already".

As I'm currently experiencing, Austrian doctors will write you ill open ended at times and make you come in for follow ups and actually enter the date when you're fit to go back to work when that's actually the case.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2013, 05:29:42 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/stressed-you-bet-i-was-shark-wrestler-paul-marshallsea-hailed-as-a-hero-is-sacked-because-he-was-on-sick-leave-8531441.html

He's claiming that his GP told him to. Charity is lawyered up and saying nothing.

QuoteWhere do I now get a job? There's not much call for shark wrestlers in Merthyr Tydfil."

At least he kept his sense of humour.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Syt on March 14, 2013, 04:57:57 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 14, 2013, 03:44:55 AM

As I'm currently experiencing, Austrian doctors will write you ill open ended at times and make you come in for follow ups and actually enter the date when you're fit to go back to work when that's actually the case.

Yeah seems a bit odd to give an arbitrary amount of time off / stick to that even if the patient is better.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on March 13, 2013, 03:54:25 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 13, 2013, 03:11:48 PMUnless his job was harder than wresting sharks, I don't see how he can justify wrestling sharks and being unable to do his (their) job.

Well, I think the shark thing was pretty improvised.

Disability isn't about planning, it is about ability.

QuoteMaybe I'm unclear on the concept of disability leave, but if the disability is stress related then taking a relaxing vacation (impromptu shark wrestling notwithstanding) seems entirely appropriate.

The concept of simultaneous disability for "stress" (as opposed to vacation to relieve stress) does sound rather bogus, but it sounds to me more like the doctor cooperating in the scam than that these two were really so disabled by stress that they could not take vacation(but could take a nice "relaxing" "disability leave" to Australia).

Had these people been on vacation,rather than claiming to be disabled, this would not have arisen.

QuoteWhat are you supposed to do on stress leave?

I have never heard of "stress leave" so I have no idea what I am supposed to do when on it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

You going to tell me that employers don't look upon something like "stress-related" with anything less than disdain and contempt?

I don't know of anyone who took "stress leave" who was with the same organization for a significant amount of time after they returned.

Medical leave they're pretty good with.  Heck even if you have to take leave to go to rehab their good with.  But "stress"?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2013, 09:45:33 AM

I don't know of anyone who took "stress leave" who was with the same organization for a significant amount of time after they returned.

Medical leave they're pretty good with.  Heck even if you have to take leave to go to rehab their good with.  But "stress"?

Well yeah stress leave sounds like it'd be a big old signifier that you can't handle the job (or don't want to).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2013, 09:45:33 AM

I can only imagine with what distain and contempt managing partners at my firm would consider a claim to being "stressed" - and with what false concern and kid gloves they would handle it.  :lol:

Fact is, in big downtown law, more or less everyone is pretty permanently stressed.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Here's how stress leave would be handled at my company.

"You're under so much stress that you can't work?  Ok, then you can leave." :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on March 14, 2013, 10:31:51 AM
Here's how stress leave would be handled at my company.

"You're under so much stress that you can't work?  Ok, then you can leave." :)

You have to be a bit more circumspect about pissing off a lawyer while simultaneously giving him or her a lot of free time.  :D

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on March 14, 2013, 10:26:12 AM
Fact is, in big downtown law, more or less everyone is pretty permanently stressed.

They should offer yoga classes during your lunch hour.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?