Man who wrestled shark away from kids fired for missing work

Started by garbon, March 13, 2013, 01:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on March 13, 2013, 03:54:25 PM
Maybe I'm unclear on the concept of disability leave, but if the disability is stress related then taking a relaxing vacation (impromptu shark wrestling notwithstanding) seems entirely appropriate.

What are you supposed to do on stress leave?

Stress leave is a kind of short hand for a person having some kind of mental illnes - usually of a short intense duration - that makes it impossible for them to report to work.   Normally people on stress leave are undergoing some form a therapy to help them return to work.

You are using stress leave as a kind of short hand for "I need a vacation".

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 13, 2013, 05:57:06 PM
Stress leave is a kind of short hand for a person having some kind of mental illnes - usually of a short intense duration - that makes it impossible for them to report to work.   Normally people on stress leave are undergoing some form a therapy to help them return to work.

Well, the shark wrestling guy claims that his doctor told him to go on vacation, so - if he is to be believed - the therapy and the vacation are one and the same thing.

Now, like I said, I don't really know what the UK parameters for stress leave and appropriate therapy are, but it's pretty clear that the languish consensus concurs with the guy's former employer that beach vacations are inappropriate.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on March 13, 2013, 04:41:39 PM
He could have bought a ticket with an open ended return.

Doesnt explain how his doctor would have been able to asses he was ready to return...

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on March 13, 2013, 06:05:26 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 13, 2013, 05:57:06 PM

Well, the shark wrestling guy claims that his doctor told him to go on vacation, so - if he is to be believed - the therapy and the vacation are one and the same thing.

Now, like I said, I don't really know what the UK parameters for stress leave and appropriate therapy are, but it's pretty clear that the languish consensus concurs with the guy's former employer that beach vacations are inappropriate.

If that is true, then that is one doctor I would enjoy having under cross examination.

CountDeMoney

For the Americans, there's no such thing as "stress leave".  You're expected to work until you die.  Anything less is considered a cop-out, and if you mention something like "stress", you're probably a black person.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 13, 2013, 06:07:00 PMIf that is true, then that is one doctor I would enjoy having under cross examination.

Heh  :lol:

Did you see the Prenda Law thread, by the way?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 13, 2013, 06:12:07 PM

For the Americans, there's no such thing as "stress leave".  You're expected to work until you die.  Anything less is considered a cop-out, and if you mention something like "stress", you're probably a black person.

<_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

You going to tell me that employers don't look upon something like "stress-related" with anything less than disdain and contempt?

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 13, 2013, 09:51:49 PM
You going to tell me that employers don't look upon something like "stress-related" with anything less than disdain and contempt?

I think they look upon employees disdain and contempt.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2013, 10:11:40 PM

I think they look upon employees disdain and contempt.
Let's not do down the Pant & Dowlais Boys & Girls Club.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Oh it is true - just that I did secretly go out on that and I am black.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Then I'm sure they didn't look upon you with disdain or contempt at all.

jimmy olsen

In Korea they assume that all employers are suffering from crippling levels of work related stress, all the way from the newest intern up to the CEO, but they believe that's just part of life.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point