Man who wrestled shark away from kids fired for missing work

Started by garbon, March 13, 2013, 01:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on March 13, 2013, 03:11:48 PMUnless his job was harder than wresting sharks, I don't see how he can justify wrestling sharks and being unable to do his (their) job.

Well, I think the shark thing was pretty improvised.

QuoteSeems a pretty clear scam to me.  Vacations should be taken using vacation leave, not disability leave.

Maybe I'm unclear on the concept of disability leave, but if the disability is stress related then taking a relaxing vacation (impromptu shark wrestling notwithstanding) seems entirely appropriate.

What are you supposed to do on stress leave?

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on March 13, 2013, 03:54:25 PM

Worry about getting your stress level down ? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

There is also the interesting coincidence of his wife just happening to be on stress leave at exactly the same time, making an Australian vacation together possible.  :hmm:

I suppose it could happen that way.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

I think the operative question is whether "stress," by itself is enough to justify disability leave, or whether the stress must be so severe that the employee is unable to perform his job.

I imagine it's a question of British labor law, and my money is on the second.

Else why would anyone ever show up for work?

garbon

Lay in bed, eat rocky road and watch trashy films. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2013, 04:07:40 PM
I think the operative question is whether "stress," by itself is enough to justify disability leave, or whether the stress must be so severe that the employee is unable to perform his job.

I imagine it's a question of British labor law, and my money is on the second.

Else why would anyone ever show up for work?

The counter-argument would be thus:

(1) Employee gets diagnosed with stress-related problems so severe he can't work
(2) Gets stress leave to recover
(3) Goes to Australian Beach to relieve stress
(4) Treatment works - employee is now better functioning
(5) New, improved, de-stressed employee performs shark-related feats

Could happen this way ... but again, problem I have with this story is that both man & wife just happen to be "disabled by stress" at the very same time, which I think an employee might find a tad suspicious. It isn't too much to believe that their "stress leave" was just a ploy to take an Australian vacation together. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

The other problem with the Australian beach stress therapy narrative is: how did Captain Scammy know how long the stress was going to last when he bought his tickets?

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on March 13, 2013, 04:13:57 PM
The counter-argument would be thus:

(1) Employee gets diagnosed with stress-related problems so severe he can't work
(2) Gets stress leave to recover
(3) Goes to Australian Beach to relieve stress
(4) Treatment works - employee is now better functioning
(5) New, improved, de-stressed employee performs shark-related feats

Could happen this way ... but again, problem I have with this story is that both man & wife just happen to be "disabled by stress" at the very same time, which I think an employee might find a tad suspicious. It isn't too much to believe that their "stress leave" was just a ploy to take an Australian vacation together.

(1)-(5) sounds reasonable to me. Though you're right about thing thing about the wife's coinciding stress leave (was she on stress leave as opposed to having taken vacation or not being employed?) does sound a bit odd.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2013, 04:18:02 PM
The other problem with the Australian beach stress therapy narrative is: how did Captain Scammy know how long the stress was going to last when he bought his tickets?

He could have bought a ticket with an open ended return. Or he could've been given stress leave for a specific period of time.

You're right, though, these details - like the wife's status and the duration of his leave - do make a difference. How many of them do we actually have?

sbr

He wouldn't have to be in Australia the entire duration of his disability leave would he?

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on March 13, 2013, 04:39:33 PM
(1)-(5) sounds reasonable to me. Though you're right about thing thing about the wife's coinciding stress leave (was she on stress leave as opposed to having taken vacation or not being employed?) does sound a bit odd.

According to what little is in the article, both were on stress leave from the same employer and both got fired when they came back.

CountDeMoney

Well, now they don't have to worry about stress from work anymore.  Problem solved.

CountDeMoney

I'm sure the instructions were very specifically outlined in their medical evaluations.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.