News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Things you wish you hadn't quit

Started by FunkMonk, March 07, 2013, 11:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on March 07, 2013, 01:10:13 PM
There was a 20 year gap from when I quit curling until I started up again.  And I'm sure glad I did.

I bet your biceps are huge.

crazy canuck

Quote from: PDH on March 07, 2013, 01:41:26 PM
There are times I wish that I had kept on sailing (as full time crew) in 1987.  When I got back from the big trip I had an offer to take a boat to Australia then back, but instead I went back to school.

I can see things turning out quite a bit differently...

Yeah, looking back I think about about all the things I turn down because I thought it would be better to get on with school/work.

The one my wife never lets me live down is I turned down a scholarship to study at Cambridge for a year because I wanted to go directly to clerking (and then working) even though everyone would have happily put things on hold until my return.

I try to teach the boys to take advantage of opportunites as they arise because the normal stuff is always going to be there.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on March 07, 2013, 01:30:22 PM
My job back in 2008.

No shit.  Never should've gotten out of bail bonds, bullshit and all.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 07, 2013, 03:00:57 PM
There was a 20 year gap from when I quit curling until I started up again.  And I'm sure glad I did.

He could mean the Gay sport too.  :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Capetan Mihali

Maybe I shouldn't have switched from Spanish to French once I hit college.  And then once I got good enough to start reading the classics of French literature, I quit French because the work was just unbearable at a certain point (stopping 8 times a page to look up a word :bleeding:).  So now I am mediocre at both, and have been working on the Spanish.  I have the urge big-time to go to Mexico, the City of and Veracruz most especially, but the City of plus almost anywhere would be great.  Might be able to pull it off this spring.  :hmm:

On the other hand, I am happy as hell I quit screeching away on the rented violin as a youth (so wise not to have bought it).  But I do wish I hadn't essentially given up playing guitar, as I have at this point.  I kind of realized that being a serious egghead was not really compatible with rockin' out on the electric guitar, so it dropped out of the picture.  You really need collaborators, or at least some home recording set-up: noodling around by yourself only takes you so far.

I wish I hadn't quit reading the newspaper.  Like *really* reading the newspaper -- the local one and a national one, in real print, almost cover to cover.  Police blotter and obits were great of course, but it just kept me so much more plugged into where I was living.  I at least managed to ready the Daily News most days in Philly, which was tabloid format but better than nothing.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Barrister

Quote from: 11B4V on March 07, 2013, 03:20:54 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 07, 2013, 03:00:57 PM

He could mean the Gay sport too.  :lol:

Here's what happens when I type "curling" into Google:

QuoteAbout 41,000,000 results (0.27 seconds)
Search Results
Canadian Curling Association
www.curling.ca/Official Website of the Canadian Curling Association.
Championship Events - Tim Hortons Brier - Full TSN Schedule - How to Contact Us
News for curling

TSN
Winnipeg's Matt Dunstone reaches world junior curling playoffs

CBC.ca ‎- 3 hours ago
Canada advanced to the men's 1-2 Page playoff game with a 8-3 win over China on Thursday at the world junior curling championships.
Ontario's Howard takes over the lead at Canadian men's curling championships
Hamilton Spectator‎ - 5 hours ago
TSN Curling News | Scores & Coverage | Curling Schedules ...
www.tsn.ca/curling/TSN Curling news and results; get the latest curling highlights and score updates; access curling tournament standings, updates and curling videos; team ...
2012-13 Season of Champions - TSN Broadcast Schedule - Canadian Curling Trials
Curling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CurlingCurling is a sport in which players slide stones across a sheet of ice towards a target area which is segmented into four rings. It is related to bowls, boule and ...
Glossary of curling - Curling at the Winter Olympics - Lists of curling clubs
16521 107 Ave NW
Edmonton
(780) 489-6428
Jasper Place Curling Club - Edmonton
www.jasperplacecurling.ca/
Google+ page
9330 80 Ave
Edmonton
(780) 466-5789
Home - Shamrock Curling Club - Edmonton, Alberta - Curling Club
www.shamrockcurling.ca/
Google+ page
11610 65th Avenue
Edmonton
(780) 492-1000
Saville Community Sports Centre
www.savillecentre.ca/
2 Google reviews
10607 Princess Elizabeth Ave NW
Edmonton
(780) 477-2427
Avonair Curling Club
www.avonaircurlingclub.ca/
Google+ page
6920 114 Ave NW
Edmonton
(780) 477-8142
Thistle Curling Club
www.thistlecurling.ab.ca/
Google+ page
Suite 110-9440 49 St NW
Edmonton
(780) 440-4270
Northern Alberta Curling Assn
www.northernalbertacurling.com/
Google+ page
10555 116 St NW
Edmonton
(780) 425-8646
Olson Curling Manufacturing & Supplies Ltd
www.olsoncurlingstore.com/
Google+ page
More results near Edmonton, AB »
Welcome to the Granite Curling Club
www.granitecurlingclub.com/The Granite Curling Club is Edmonton's oldest curling club and most prestigious curling club, and one of the oldest in the Province of Alberta. It was founded and ...
CBC Sports - Curling
www.cbc.ca/sports/curling/All the latest Curling News, scores, stats, videos and commentary from CBC Sports.
World Curling Federation - Home
www.worldcurling.org/Welcome to the official website of the World Curling Federation.
Curling's Premiere Directory
www.curling.com/This Premiere Curling website reports on curling news and championships of this popular winter ice-curling sport.
Curling | Sports | Edmonton Sun
www.edmontonsun.com/sports/curlingCurling news and stats from the Edmonton Sun, your number one source for Canadian sports news.

:contract:

And the Brier is going on at this very moment here in Edmonton.  :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on March 07, 2013, 03:33:24 PM

Here's what happens when I type "curling" into Google:

QuoteAbout 41,000,000 results (0.27 seconds)
Search Results
www.curling.ca/Official Website of the Canadian Curling Association.
Championship Events - Tim Hortons Brier - Full TSN Schedule - How to Contact Us
News for curling

TSN

CBC.ca ‎- 3 hours ago
Canada advanced to the men's 1-2 Page playoff game with a 8-3 win over China on Thursday at the world junior curling championships.
Ontario's Howard takes over the lead at Canadian men's curling championships
Hamilton Spectator‎ - 5 hours ago
www.tsn.ca/curling/TSN Curling news and results; get the latest curling highlights and score updates; access curling tournament standings, updates and curling videos; team ...
2012-13 Season of Champions - TSN Broadcast Schedule - Canadian Curling Trials
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CurlingCurling is a sport in which players slide stones across a sheet of ice towards a target area which is segmented into four rings. It is related to bowls, boule and ...
16521 107 Ave NW
Edmonton
(780) 489-6428
Jasper Place Curling Club - Edmonton
www.jasperplacecurling.ca/
Google+ page
9330 80 Ave
Edmonton
(780) 466-5789
Home - Shamrock Curling Club - Edmonton, Alberta - Curling Club
www.shamrockcurling.ca/
Google+ page
11610 65th Avenue
Edmonton
(780) 492-1000
Saville Community Sports Centre
www.savillecentre.ca/
2 Google reviews
10607 Princess Elizabeth Ave NW
Edmonton
(780) 477-2427
Avonair Curling Club
www.avonaircurlingclub.ca/
Google+ page
6920 114 Ave NW
Edmonton
(780) 477-8142
Thistle Curling Club
www.thistlecurling.ab.ca/
Google+ page
Suite 110-9440 49 St NW
Edmonton
(780) 440-4270
Northern Alberta Curling Assn
www.northernalbertacurling.com/
Google+ page
10555 116 St NW
Edmonton
(780) 425-8646
Olson Curling Manufacturing & Supplies Ltd
www.olsoncurlingstore.com/
Google+ page
More results near Edmonton, AB »
Welcome to the Granite Curling Club
www.granitecurlingclub.com/The Granite Curling Club is Edmonton's oldest curling club and most prestigious curling club, and one of the oldest in the Province of Alberta. It was founded and ...
CBC Sports - Curling
www.cbc.ca/sports/curling/All the latest Curling News, scores, stats, videos and commentary from CBC Sports.
www.worldcurling.org/Welcome to the official website of the World Curling Federation.
www.curling.com/This Premiere Curling website reports on curling news and championships of this popular winter ice-curling sport.
Curling | Sports | Edmonton Sun
www.edmontonsun.com/sports/curlingCurling news and stats from the Edmonton Sun, your number one source for Canadian sports news.

:contract:

And the Brier is going on at this very moment here in Edmonton.  :cool:
You realize that google results are dependent on  a number of things including location. A google search originating in the city that is currently hosting the Briar may not be most indicative.

That having been said:
About 49,700,000 results (0.26 seconds)
Search Results

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curling
    Curling is a sport in which players slide stones across a sheet of ice towards a target area which is segmented into four rings. It is related to bowls, boule and ...
    United States Curling Association
    www.curlingrocks.net/
    Includes a schedule, news items, scores, auctions, current standings, links to all US clubs, and a glossary of terms.
    Curling | Olympic Videos, Photos, News Events, Records, Medals
    www.olympic.org › Sports
    Videos, photos, news, equipment and history of Curling | Women's and Men's Olympic Curling events, gold medals, medalists, records, and results.
    www.tsn.ca/curling/
    TSN Curling news and results; get the latest curling highlights and score updates; access curling tournament standings, updates and curling videos; team ...
    www.worldcurling.org/
    Welcome to the official website of the World Curling Federation.
    www.curling.ca/
    Official Website of the Canadian Curling Association.
    Images for curling
     - Report images
    Curling Basics
    www.curlingbasics.com/
    Anhand von Flash-Animationen werden Curling - Begriffe und Regeln erklärt. Animated examples of curling terms and rules.
    www.curling.com/
    This Premiere Curling website reports on curling news and championships of this popular winter ice-curling sport.
    CBC Sports - Curling
    www.cbc.ca/sports/curling/
    All the latest Curling News, scores, stats, videos and commentary from CBC Sports.
    curling - Wiktionary
    en.wiktionary.org/wiki/curling
    curling. Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary. Jump to: navigation, search ... [edit] English. Wikipedia has an article on: Curling · Wikipedia. a curling rink ...
    News for curling

TSN

CBC.ca ‎- 3 hours ago
        Curling DNA has been ingrained into Northern Ontario Brad Jacobs and Quebec's Jean-Michel Menard at Tim Hortons ...
        Edmonton Journal‎ - 17 hours ago

Eddie Teach

Doing curls is generally referred to as "weight-lifting" not "curling". But anyway, Seedy was just making a funny.

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 07, 2013, 03:51:54 PM
Doing curls is generally referred to as "weight-lifting" not "curling". But anyway, Seedy was just making a funny.

It is my internet mission to stand up for the noble sport of curling.  :scots:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Tae Kwon Do. I was pretty good. I could have been an Olympic Athlete twice by now.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

FunkMonk

No one has said screwing prostitutes. I am disappointed.  :mad:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.