Chávez dead

Started by Iormlund, March 05, 2013, 05:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on March 06, 2013, 01:50:05 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 06, 2013, 01:20:58 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 06, 2013, 12:44:22 PM
Meanwhile, Castro continues on.  :P

The Revolution will never die.  Or shave.

Unfortunately it stopped smoking cigars.  The one redeeming quality Castro had :(

When the CIA tries to smuggle one full of explosives in with your name on it, it tends to put you off your tobacco.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 06, 2013, 02:11:34 PM
When the CIA tries to smuggle one full of explosives in with your name on it, it tends to put you off your tobacco.

:D 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josephus

Quote from: Neil on March 06, 2013, 01:52:32 PM
Quote from: Josephus on March 06, 2013, 09:57:29 AM
Quote from: Neil on March 05, 2013, 10:41:50 PM
An autocrat and a dictator are the same thing.  Both rule by force and nothing else.

And the will of the people. He was elected several times, don't forget.
Yeah, just like Saddam.

Actually, no. Nothing like Saddam. Venezuela's elections were free and multi-party. In Iraq I think it was "Saddam for President OR SHOOT ME"
Anyways,here's a good article on his legacy:
http://www.thenation.com/article/173212/legacy-hugo-chavez#
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on March 06, 2013, 02:39:02 PM

Wow you have a hard on for this guy eh?  As I said, don't worry plenty more like him.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 06, 2013, 02:48:38 PM
Quote from: Josephus on March 06, 2013, 02:39:02 PM

Wow you have a hard on for this guy eh?  As I said, don't worry plenty more like him.

I suspect we're being trolled.  Or at least I hope we are.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Pointing out that Hugo's elections were more free than Saddam's is not trolling.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 06, 2013, 03:32:51 PM
Pointing out that Hugo's elections were more free than Saddam's is not trolling.

One can speak the truth and still be trolling.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on March 06, 2013, 03:37:52 PM

Certainly.

How does that relate to the Malt's post?

derspiess

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on March 06, 2013, 03:37:52 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 06, 2013, 03:32:51 PM

:yes: Beeb is stupid.

CountDeMoney

Chavez was a big anti-American, antisemitic dickhead who went out of his way to be a right real pisshead to Washington and whose bullshit foreign policy won't be missed, but that doesn't negate the reforms he made in attempting to return some equality to Venezuela's rich-poor imbalance.  I know that's a foreign concept here in the United States of Wall Street, but he actually improved a lot of impoverished lives. 

Americans just can't stand Latin American leaders that don't march lockstep with the US and look the anti-Communist part straight out of early 1980's Central Casting.  Pretty funny for a hemisphere we've pretty much ignored since Roosevelt, unless it's to topple a government or ignore right-wing death squads whacking herds of Jesuits and nuns.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 06, 2013, 03:52:47 PM
Chavez was a big anti-American, antisemitic dickhead who went out of his way to be a right real pisshead to Washington and whose bullshit foreign policy won't be missed, but that doesn't negate the reforms he made in attempting to return some equality to Venezuela's rich-poor imbalance.  I know that's a foreign concept here in the United States of Wall Street, but he actually improved a lot of impoverished lives. 

Americans just can't stand Latin American leaders that don't march lockstep with the US and look the anti-Communist part straight out of early 1980's Central Casting.  Pretty funny for a hemisphere we've pretty much ignored since Roosevelt, unless it's to topple a government or ignore right-wing death squads whacking herds of Jesuits and nuns.

My interpretation was that he was giving the poor lots of stuff because they were his support for his regime and ultimately his policies were unsustainable and would do nothing for the poor in the long term.  He was blowing his countriy's resources to pay off his peeps for his own personal power.  If I am wrong and things in Venezuela are better than good for Chavez.  I doubt it though nothing he did had not been tried before and shown to be a failure. 

I make an attempt to pay pretty close attention to Latin America, being in Texas I think it is a basic civic responsibility.  I think it is just fine for Latin American countries to piss on the US if they ultimately are doing good things for their people, I mean most of the time the US doesn't notice and what is good for Latin America is ultimately good for Texas.  I think Chavez got the attention because of the fact it was a major oil producing country, he was involved in the Columbian crap, and he had a natural ability for attention grabbing buffoonery.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on March 06, 2013, 03:46:18 PM
Yi, you've lost me.

How so.  You seemed to be calling Josephus a troll.  I don't see how his post makes him a troll.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 06, 2013, 03:59:03 PM
How so.  You seemed to be calling Josephus a troll.  I don't see how his post makes him a troll.

It was because of the article he linked, not anything he posted.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 06, 2013, 03:52:47 PM

Americans just can't stand Latin American leaders that don't march lockstep with the US and look the anti-Communist part straight out of early 1980's Central Casting.

This is utter, undiluted bullshit.