Gay Couple Asked to Leave Mall for Holding Hands, Kissing

Started by garbon, March 05, 2013, 04:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 06, 2013, 09:05:32 AM
The whining over Argo has been.... Delicious. :)
It's a typical Best Picture winner. Cynical about the world and hopelessly romantic about film and actors and the creatives :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 06, 2013, 08:48:48 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 06, 2013, 08:45:49 AM
There is a slippery slope argument used there that if slavery is abolished it will lead to negroes marrying white women.
Oh ok. It did. Gay civil unions will lead to gay marriage and gay adoption. He's entirely right.

Of course. I agree. Same as abolishing slavery led to mixed unions. So the analogy is apt - you have a reactionary bemoaning the progress to things that are fine.

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 06, 2013, 08:58:13 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 06, 2013, 03:17:14 AM
Speaking of which, in a recent debate about civil unions for gay couples in Poland, one of the conservative Christian MPs raised an old-time-favourite argument that legalizing gay unions will lead to such evils as gay marriage and gay couples adopting children (sic!).

Fun fact: he is an African immigrant married to a white woman. He was told to watch the congressional debate on "Lincoln". :P

If one believes that gay marriage and gay adoption are "evil" then he is quite right to point out that legalizing gay unions will inevitably lead to such things.  His conclusion is not illogical.  Your point should probably have been that it is perfectly fine for there to be gay marriage and gay adoption.

Yes, that's my point. His conclusion is not illogical, just as the conclusion of a pro-slavery reactionary was logical. It was an invitation for him to self-reflect.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 06, 2013, 09:12:05 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 06, 2013, 09:05:32 AM
The whining over Argo has been.... Delicious. :)

I haven't heard any. CC and Josephus must not have gotten the mailer yet.

p.s.
1 ahahah 2 ahahah 3 ahahah 4 etc.

Meh, Americans are ignorant.  News at 11.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 06, 2013, 12:02:27 PM

It was not done in ignorance.  It was done because Americans saving the day is more entertaining.  The movie would have bombed if it was about Canadians, nobody wants to see that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on March 06, 2013, 12:12:19 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 06, 2013, 12:02:27 PM

It was not done in ignorance.  It was done because Americans saving the day is more entertaining.  The movie would have bombed if it was about Canadians, nobody wants to see that.

I am not suggesting that Ben is ignorant.  He clearly isnt.  But that doesnt change the fact that most Americans are.

Your post is good evidence of that fact.  It is entirely accurate that a movie reflecting true events not involving fictional American heroes would indeed have bombed in American movie theatres because Americans have little if any knowledge of the outside world.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 06, 2013, 12:15:43 PM
I am not suggesting that Ben is ignorant.  He clearly isnt.  But that doesnt change the fact that most Americans are.

Your post is good evidence of that fact.  It is entirely accurate that a movie reflecting true events not involving fictional American heroes would indeed have bombed in American movie theatres because Americans have little if any knowledge of the outside world.

Well personally I would only see a movie involving French heroes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on March 06, 2013, 12:21:48 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 06, 2013, 12:15:43 PM

Well personally I would only see a movie involving French heroes.

Ok, then clearly you are outside the norm.

Neil

After having watched Argo, I don't feel that it took anything away from the Canadians at all.  The people whining about it are just the usual suspects who feel slighted at the drop of a hat.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on March 05, 2013, 09:29:46 PM
I got a blowjob in the mall parking lot a few months back.  Does that count?

I didn't eve know you were gay.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius