Businessweek Warns That Minorities May Be Buying Houses Again

Started by garbon, March 01, 2013, 02:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: fahdiz on March 01, 2013, 04:13:08 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 01, 2013, 04:06:45 PM
All that's missing is some watermelon and friend chicken, some scratch-off lotto tickets, and a riced-out import with a 3' spoiler with a PR flag hanging from the rear view mirror.

So all that's missing from the racist drawing are things that would make it racist. Got it.

Might as well be as accurate as possible in the message you convey.  Come correct, or don't come at all.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2013, 04:12:58 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 01, 2013, 04:10:56 PM
Silly Businessweek. Shoulda ensured that they only used White folks on the cover.

And then continue to perpetuate the erasing of minorities - like they did with that horrible Dodge ad that whitewashed the farming industry?!

Well sure. People can't complain about depictions of minorities if all you ever depict anywhere are Bland and Blandy McWhitebread now, can they.  ^_^
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on March 01, 2013, 04:19:29 PMPeople can't complain about depictions of minorities if all you ever depict anywhere are Bland and Blandy McWhitebread now, can they.  ^_^

Bet if they weren't depicting the damned dirty minorities on the receiving end of predatory lending, but instead caricatured all the damned dirty Jews from the mortgage companies on the cover instead, you'd be all over that one, Heebie McHooknose.

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on March 01, 2013, 02:38:10 PM
A non-apology is the perfect response to a non-offence.

I hope they do greedy crook-nosed Jewish bankers on the cover next.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on March 01, 2013, 04:19:29 PM
Silly Businessweek. Shoulda ensured that they only used White folks on the cover.

And then continue to perpetuate the erasing of minorities - like they did with that horrible Dodge ad that whitewashed the farming industry?!

Well sure. People can't complain about depictions of minorities if all you ever depict anywhere are Bland and Blandy McWhitebread now, can they.  ^_^

My point with that is that people complained about the lack of minorities in that Dodge Superbowl ad. So either way you'll get someone complaining and if it is only Slate bleating, opt for that option. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2013, 04:30:40 PM
My point with that is that people complained about the lack of minorities in that Dodge Superbowl ad. So either way you'll get someone complaining and if it is only Slate bleating, opt for that option. :D

Trying to remember that one.  Dodge?  I remember the non-issue with the Jamaican accent for VW, but not anything about Dodge.

Martinus

Anyway, what's really stunning here is how fucked up the editorial oversight in Bloomberg Businessweek must be, to allow something like this to slip by.

Sure, the picture is not racist by KKK standards (it's not something to get offended about if someone, say, posted this on their Facebook) but anyone who doesn't realize this would cause a furore if published on a cover of a serious business magazine should really find a job in a different industry.

Malthus

Yup. I'm agreeing.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 01, 2013, 04:33:34 PM

Trying to remember that one.  Dodge?  I remember the non-issue with the Jamaican accent for VW, but not anything about Dodge.

I never posted about it here but I saw people on facebook (and some article) angry that all of the farmers were white. They wanted to know where all of our minority (particularly latino) farm workers had gone.

Also, I'm glad I posted this slate article if only for the popcorn moments of watching Marti froth about race.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on March 01, 2013, 04:40:25 PM

Yup. I'm agreeing.

Not coincidentally that's how I now sort of feel regarding representations of Native Americans. It seems like these days they only way you can represent any Native American culture without being lambasted is to pay money to the relevant tribal organization.  Which means we really won't have representations of native americans at all.

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 01, 2013, 04:23:55 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 01, 2013, 04:19:29 PMPeople can't complain about depictions of minorities if all you ever depict anywhere are Bland and Blandy McWhitebread now, can they.  ^_^

Bet if they weren't depicting the damned dirty minorities on the receiving end of predatory lending, but instead caricatured all the damned dirty Jews from the mortgage companies on the cover instead, you'd be all over that one, Heebie McHooknose.

Just how would you go about depicting that without using stereotypes?

I guess logic was never the stong point of drunken Irish cops.  :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2013, 04:40:57 PM
I never posted about it here but I saw people on facebook (and some article) angry that all of the farmers were white. They wanted to know where all of our minority (particularly latino) farm workers had gone.

Ah, OK.  Maybe they would've felt better if there were a shot of a Dodge with 9 migrants workers in the bed?   :lol:

QuoteAlso, I'm glad I posted this slate article if only for the popcorn moments of watching Marti froth about race.

I find it disturbing that he seems to be agreeing with me.  I don't feel comfortable with that association.  NOT DOING ME ANY FAVORS MARTI, MMMKAY?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2013, 04:40:57 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 01, 2013, 04:33:34 PM

Also, I'm glad I posted this slate article if only for the popcorn moments of watching Marti froth about race.

It's a great damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Have a Dodge commercial with all-White farm hands? White-wash!

Have a Dodge commerical with Latino farm hands? You think Latinos are wetbacks!

:D

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.