News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Steam games issues

Started by KRonn, February 26, 2013, 06:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

I just bought HOI 3 from Paradox and downloaded it from Steam. Of course I get a start error, dll file missing. But the game isn't even installed on my computer? It apparently runs through Steam. I remember Civ 5 was like that and at some point the game was unplayable. What is the deal with Steam games? I'd really rather have the CD copy and load it normally.

Error message says to reinstall the game and try again. I really am a bit dubious about the steam setups, given the history I've had.

MadBurgerMaker

Steam games are installed on your computer in the <something like D:\ then maybe program files or something>Steam\steamapps\common\<name of game>

I don't have HoI3 through Steam, but CK2, Victoria, and Vic2 (the only Paradox games I have through the service) are all installed there.

E: Can you verify the integrity of the game cache?  If the game is grayed out in the library, it needs to be downloaded, if it isn't, right click on it, go to properties, then to the local files tab.  Toward the bottom, click on verify integrity.

sbr

Did you try to verify game cache?

KRonn

Yes, I did find the game in a Common folder. I deleted and reinstalled, still an error.

"The program can't start because d3dx9_42.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Brand new computer, just got it running last weekend. I wonder if it's a driver issue. I researched that error and it said something about a DirectX error.

KRonn

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: KRonn on February 26, 2013, 07:03:49 PM
Yes, I did find the game in a Common folder. I deleted and reinstalled, still an error.

"The program can't start because d3dx9_42.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Brand new computer, just got it running last weekend. I wonder if it's a driver issue. I researched that error and it said something about a DirectX error.

Oh.  Looks like you need a DirectX file. 

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35  There it is.

KRonn

I must be running a new version of DirectX though, on a new computer Windows 7? Should I still download DX9?

katmai

Only if you want to play HoI 3 :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: KRonn on February 26, 2013, 07:10:13 PM
I must be running a new version of DirectX though, on a new computer Windows 7? Should I still download DX9?

Yeah, it'll put that .dll on there.

KRonn

I'm just nervous about trying to update DirectX, as I never have. I checked the version, running DirectX11.

If I download version 9 that won't interfere with my DirectX11 version? I'm just not knowledgeable enough to know. Should I download the version 11 I have and reinstall that?

sbr

Quote from: KRonn on February 26, 2013, 08:31:12 PM
I'm just nervous about trying to update DirectX, as I never have. I checked the version, running DirectX11.

If I download version 9 that won't interfere with my DirectX11 version? I'm just not knowledgeable enough to know. Should I download the version 11 I have and reinstall that?

No you should be fine.  A lot of ifferent games require different DX versions.

KRonn

So even though I have ver 11 that may not include ver 9 files? I figured the new ones include previous file versions, etc.

Scipio

Quote from: KRonn on February 26, 2013, 09:07:30 PM
So even though I have ver 11 that may not include ver 9 files? I figured the new ones include previous file versions, etc.
That stopped with DirectX 9.0c, IIRC.  Since then, they've been fragmenting the redistributable through the developers to prevent bloat.  Or something like that.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

KRonn

I downloaded that link that Mad gave. When I re-read it, it said it provides updates to version 9.0c and previous. That worked, and the game runs now. Thanks all, much appreciated!   :)

KRonn

Another question. I guess I have to log into the Steam website every time I run a game downloaded from them? Is there a way around that? Not a big deal, but if I want to play while not connected to the internet I can't? Or ifSteam's site is down.

I had downloaded Civ 5 a while back on my old computer. Eventually the game was unplayable, the start icon didn't load, got odd error messages. So I don't trust Steam all that much, but my experience with it is very limited. I'd like to hear from some people who use Steam a lot.