News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Steam games issues

Started by KRonn, February 26, 2013, 06:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Paradox doesn't use any of Steam's DRM.

You can copy/paste the HOI3 folder anywhere else on your PC and then start it by clicking on the .exe and completely bypass Steam.

That is very rare though, you almost always need to go through Steam.  CivV for example has to run through Steam.

KRonn

I wanted to get another couple of Paradox games. Vicky 2 for one. So I'm probably better off just buying the box versions rather than deal with Steam, even though downloading the games are an easy way to go.

garbon

I've not had any issues running p'dox games that I got on steam. Like CK2 - runs fine when not oline.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Agelastus

Quote from: KRonn on February 27, 2013, 06:58:42 PM
I wanted to get another couple of Paradox games. Vicky 2 for one. So I'm probably better off just buying the box versions rather than deal with Steam, even though downloading the games are an easy way to go.

Have you tried Gamersgate? I know Paradox seem to be dropping what was their own baby for future releases, but Vicky 2 should still be on there.

It's where I've bought all my digital versions from - I'm rather pissed off that Paradox are going to stop using it for releases since I regard Steam as a piece of crap (legacy of the difficulties I've had installing "Empire: Total War" where I actually did buy the disc, something Steam did not like at all... :glare:]
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

KRonn

I haven't tried Gamersgate. I can check that out.

Garbon, it's good to know that the games run when not online.  I had CK2 on my old computer, downloaded from Steam. That ran without problems but I still feel that the folder naming convention is weird with Steam.

viper37

Quote from: KRonn on February 27, 2013, 07:35:24 PM
Garbon, it's good to know that the games run when not online.  I had CK2 on my old computer, downloaded from Steam. That ran without problems but I still feel that the folder naming convention is weird with Steam.
I like Steam, I prefer it over anything else.  I believe there is a way to have your games installed on another folder the default one, but all game will go in your new folder.  Anyway, I like having them there rather than Program Files.

Imho, you are better of with Steam than the box version.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

I don't like Steam but I don't find it horrible like I did in the past.  Only issue I've found now is when steam wants to update. My wireless at home can be wonky (as I don't pay TimeWarner extra) - so unless I plug ethernet cable in, steam can get stuck unable to update. And at such times, you can't turn on offline mode as that triggers its attempts to update. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Scipio

You can also buy from Amazon.com, and download direct or get a steam code.  Or both.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

KRonn

I guess one good point with Steam is that game updates/patches auto update a game. Plus game guides in one place, like there is for HOI3.

I used it with CK2 and it was fine, so I'll get used to it.

Cecil

Quote from: KRonn on March 03, 2013, 10:04:57 AM
I guess one good point with Steam is that game updates/patches auto update a game. Plus game guides in one place, like there is for HOI3.

Considering how many cry bloody murder over that I´m a bit bemused you bring it up a a point in Steams favour. I like it though as well.

Agelastus

Quote from: Cecil on March 03, 2013, 02:45:20 PM

Considering how many cry bloody murder over that I´m a bit bemused you bring it up a a point in Steams favour. I like it though as well.

Given the number of times Paradox have released patches that are not save-game compatible I can understand why some people might not like that.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

KRonn

Quote from: Agelastus on March 04, 2013, 08:28:10 AM
Quote from: Cecil on March 03, 2013, 02:45:20 PM

Given the number of times Paradox have released patches that are not save-game compatible I can understand why some people might not like that.

Yeah, that would be an issue. Steam needs to get the ok for the update from the user, or something like that.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2013, 12:05:43 PM
I don't like Steam but I don't find it horrible like I did in the past.  Only issue I've found now is when steam wants to update. My wireless at home can be wonky (as I don't pay TimeWarner extra) - so unless I plug ethernet cable in, steam can get stuck unable to update. And at such times, you can't turn on offline mode as that triggers its attempts to update. <_<
don't activate auto-update. You'll update your game when you want.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on March 04, 2013, 09:17:26 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2013, 12:05:43 PM
don't activate auto-update. You'll update your game when you want.

It wasn't the game - it was steam updating itself. Only seen it happen once.