And we're back!

Main Menu

The Hub - or How the US Gov't Got Your Info

Started by merithyn, February 26, 2013, 01:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: garbon on February 26, 2013, 02:00:52 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 26, 2013, 01:58:22 PM
This is all so the One World Government can use their Black Drones more efficiently to promote Big Brother.

Why does black always have to be used to connote evil? <_<

Back boxes help to save lives by improving aircraft safety and the little black dress has a lot of fans.   :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Don't governments need a certain amount of information about us, in the general and the specific so it can determine what services are needed where, when and the how via tax ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on February 26, 2013, 02:44:30 PM
Back boxes help to save lives by improving aircraft safety and the little black dress has a lot of fans.   :)

Black boxes <= why don't they build planes out of them then?
Little black dresses <= worn by sluts
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

This is all so the One World Government can use their Black Drones more efficiently to promote Big Brother.

because you are wicked, well in your case half-wicked, wicked lite, etc....
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Valmy

Because the night is dark and full of terrors.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

Patriot Act, Echelon ... isn't it a bit late to start worrying about Big Brother?

Not to mention credit cards, Google, Facebook  ...

Valmy

Quote from: Iormlund on February 26, 2013, 02:58:09 PM
Patriot Act, Echelon ... isn't it a bit late to start worrying about Big Brother?

Not to mention credit cards, Google, Facebook  ...

Yeah they have been collecting info on us for awhile.  The government seem to have a strange addiction to information gathering and secrecy when neither are required in the vast majority of circumstances.  My only concern is it requires me to have faith that the government is compromised of good people with good intentions, and I have no reason to suspect it is not so on the whole, but this is the sort of situation our constitution and laws were supposed to protect us from...relying on the goodness of people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on February 26, 2013, 02:29:05 PM
Well it is a much better point than "but the government has no right to this info".

Bingo.  I don't worry about Big Brother nearly so much as I worry about Little Brother.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on February 26, 2013, 03:03:49 PM
Yeah they have been collecting info on us for awhile.  The government seem to have a strange addiction to information gathering and secrecy when neither are required in the vast majority of circumstances.  My only concern is it requires me to have faith that the government is compromised of good people with good intentions, and I have no reason to suspect it is not so on the whole, but this is the sort of situation our constitution and laws were supposed to protect us from...relying on the goodness of people.

As you note, governments are made up of people, and the solution to problems with "government" access to information is to punish individuals who misuse any access they may have to individuals' information, rather than moaning about "big brother."

If you punish individuals who misuse any access they may have to individuals' information, you also can punish those not in government who do so.  This is a much better solution than trying to prevent misuse of individuals' information by trying to put blinders on "the government."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: katmai on February 26, 2013, 02:52:18 PM

because you are wicked, well in your case half-wicked, wicked lite, etc....

Caramel wicked.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on February 26, 2013, 02:29:05 PM
Well it is a much better point than "but the government has no right to this info".

Indeed.  Governments do not have rights, they have powers.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on February 26, 2013, 01:36:19 PM
Was this mentioned anywhere at all when the whole Obamacare thing came out? :unsure:

Ms. Pelosi told us it had to be passed before it could be read.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on February 26, 2013, 03:35:27 PM
Quote from: merithyn on February 26, 2013, 01:36:19 PM
Was this mentioned anywhere at all when the whole Obamacare thing came out? :unsure:

Ms. Pelosi told us it had to be passed before it could be read.

Ah democracy.

Iormlund

Quote from: grumbler on February 26, 2013, 03:23:14 PM
Bingo.  I don't worry about Big Brother nearly so much as I worry about Little Brother.

It's going to be so much fun in a few years when everyone starts transmitting and storing on the cloud everything around them ...

Admiral Yi

Meri, I think it was fairly predictable that a health care overall that imposed penalties for not owning insurance was going to have some intrusive aspects.