In Italy, Illusion Is the Only Reality; Berlusconi On His Way Back To The Top

Started by jimmy olsen, February 25, 2013, 09:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on February 26, 2013, 08:40:38 AM
- Then there was the fact that his demeanour isn't exactly charming. An austere professor which predicts doom and gloom if he's not picked is far from an attractive candidate. His attempts to be folksy or to endear himself with voters were also quite clumsy and artificial.

Well...to be fair...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on February 26, 2013, 08:40:38 AM
He seemed to be a lock-in for the Italian Presidency, which must be decided in the spring, and with this dissapointing performance he might have ruined his chances for that.
There was lots of rumours that he might succeed Van Rompuy too. That's probably not plausible when he can't win 10% in his own country.
Let's bomb Russia!

Pedrito

The average italian's feelings about Monti: a guy who was put in place by the financial/old money powers, to get out as quickly as possible of a stock market/sovereign debt crisis. His "Technical" government, held hostage by both the left and right, did not have the numbers to pass acts of real, undisputed urgency like a real, radical reformation of job market and pensions, of education and health care.

The infamous "BCE letter" sent to the italian government during the last fits of Berlusconi (summer 2011), which listed a vast program of serious reforms and which ultimately led to the fall of Berlusconi and the Monti premiership, has been largely unattended.

Grillo and the 5 Stars, well, they can be anti-system, anti-politics, etc., but they're still around the 25% mark, and cannot be simply put aside and forgotten.

The left turns out the real loser of these elections: they should've easily won, up until few days before the elections the polls gave the left a 10% advantage; maybe with Renzi as candidate premier they would've lost less votes to purely protest formations (M5S), but in the end they appeared as an old party that wanted to preserve the old PD Nomenklatura (Bersani head start, then Bindi, D'Alema, and many others).

Berlusconi, well, it's Berlusconi: old, yes, corrupt, probably, media tycoon, certainly (even if, in the last 20 years, despite having three TV channels, he lost two elections); but he represents a very large part of italians who don't want to vote the left, and are lacking an alternative.

By the way, for the italian speakers here (Sheilbh, Larch), there's an excellent article about the italian right and Berlusconi on the Corriere homepage, by PL Battista:
http://www.corriere.it/politica/speciali/2013/elezioni/notizie/26-febbraio-riscossa-del-giaguaro-battista_3b297940-7fdd-11e2-b0f8-b0cda815bb62.shtml

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 26, 2013, 09:24:11 AM
Quote from: Pedrito on February 26, 2013, 09:10:29 AM

By the way, for the italian speakers here (Sheilbh, Larch)
I had no idea Shelf spoke Italian! :o
I don't I'm afraid. I've rubbish language skills. I can read Spanish, but my communication's not so great.
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

I got curious as to what Sheilbh meant, so I googled. All I got though was Languish results for you. :P Is it gaelic?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

Quote from: Liep on February 26, 2013, 10:13:10 AM
I got curious as to what Sheilbh meant, so I googled. All I got though was Languish results for you. :P Is it gaelic?
Yep. I think it means head of cattle. Not what I thought it meant when I first liked it though :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Not to go too off-topic but similar potest voting looks set to see a UKIP MP voted in for the first time, Michael Crick is almost calling the Eastleigh by-election:

QuoteMichael Crick @MichaelLCrick    33m
From talking to more voters today I increasingly think UKIP could pull of a surprise victory in Eastleigh. They will certainly do very well·

QuoteMichael Crick @MichaelLCrick    1h
A senior Lib Dem reckons that with another week UKIP might easily win this by-election. Just as well then that the party called it early

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

The 5-star crowd are offering something I would want, which is out of the euro and getting the Lira back  :cool:

10% annual devaluation....................Italy would soon be back on her feet.

The trouble with the Italians is that while they make excellent Italians they are only 3rd-rate at behaving like Germans.

Maladict

Grallon

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Pedrito

Quote from: Maladict on February 26, 2013, 12:15:57 PM
Quote from: Pedrito on February 26, 2013, 09:10:29 AM

By the way, for the italian speakers here (Sheilbh, Larch), there's an excellent article about the italian right and Berlusconi on the Corriere homepage, by PL Battista:
http://www.corriere.it/politica/speciali/2013/elezioni/notizie/26-febbraio-riscossa-del-giaguaro-battista_3b297940-7fdd-11e2-b0f8-b0cda815bb62.shtml

L.

Interesting, thanks
Yep, I forgot you lived quite some time in Italy. ...and in my home town, too!  :blush:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Winkelried

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on