In Italy, Illusion Is the Only Reality; Berlusconi On His Way Back To The Top

Started by jimmy olsen, February 25, 2013, 09:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Grallon on February 26, 2013, 12:20:02 PM
Quote from: Neil on February 25, 2013, 10:09:13 PM
Italy hasn't had international credibility since... ever.
Certainly not since the 4th century AD.
I don't think Italy can really be considered a successor state of the Roman Empire.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Larch

Quote from: Pedrito on February 26, 2013, 09:10:29 AMBerlusconi, well, it's Berlusconi: old, yes, corrupt, probably, media tycoon, certainly (even if, in the last 20 years, despite having three TV channels, he lost two elections); but he represents a very large part of italians who don't want to vote the left, and are lacking an alternative.

Really, man?  :lol:

QuoteBy the way, for the italian speakers here (Sheilbh, Larch), there's an excellent article about the italian right and Berlusconi on the Corriere homepage, by PL Battista:
http://www.corriere.it/politica/speciali/2013/elezioni/notizie/26-febbraio-riscossa-del-giaguaro-battista_3b297940-7fdd-11e2-b0f8-b0cda815bb62.shtml

L.

Thanks, interesting article. It raises some points on Berlusconi that are usually missing from analysis on him done by foreign journos, namely that despite all his buffoonery, he really knows what the average Italian wants to hear about and what are their day to day issues. Over here the only tangible policy that was mentioned and discussed was his proposal to abolish IMU and pay it back, but only to label it as nakedly populistic and technically impossible. At no point was it mentioned how that tax was affecting the average Italian household.

Pedrito

Quote from: The Larch on February 26, 2013, 01:25:50 PM
Quote from: Pedrito on February 26, 2013, 09:10:29 AMBerlusconi, well, it's Berlusconi: old, yes, corrupt, probably, media tycoon, certainly (even if, in the last 20 years, despite having three TV channels, he lost two elections); but he represents a very large part of italians who don't want to vote the left, and are lacking an alternative.

;)   :P

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Pedrito on February 26, 2013, 09:10:29 AM
Grillo and the 5 Stars, well, they can be anti-system, anti-politics, etc., but they're still around the 25% mark, and cannot be simply put aside and forgotten.

you'd be surprised how easy it is to ignore 25% of the electorate. Or 33%, or depending on how things go next year here: 40%

Valmy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 26, 2013, 04:24:06 PM
you'd be surprised how easy it is to ignore 25% of the electorate. Or 33%, or depending on how things go next year here: 40%

Lettowists should always have their aims frustrated at any cost.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Pedrito on February 26, 2013, 03:42:21 PM
Quote from: The Larch on February 26, 2013, 01:25:50 PM

;)   :P

L.

Corrupt?

I always thought he was in waste management  :hmm:

Tamas

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Quote from: Pedrito on February 27, 2013, 03:56:49 AM
:hmm: I'm suspecting it's a polite way to say "I don't give a flying fuck"  :lol:

L.

I took it as a "Hey, look at me, I know italian, too!" :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tamas

Syt

Survey: what will happen with Italy?

Courtesy of a satirical website.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

Maladict

Quote from: Pedrito on February 26, 2013, 12:22:25 PM

Yep, I forgot you lived quite some time in Italy. ...and in my home town, too!  :blush:

L.

Yeah, mine was meant as encouragement to post interesting non-English articles.  <_<