500-year-old arrest warrant for Niccolò Machiavelli discovered

Started by garbon, February 25, 2013, 10:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/500-year-old-arrest-warrant-niccolo-machiavelli-discovered-article-1.1272131

QuoteThe document was found in Florence's state archives and marks the turning point in Machiavelli's life that would inspire him to write his famous political treatise. 'The Prince' is regarded as one of the first works of modern political philosophy and argues the end justifies the means.

A British academic has discovered the arrest warrant for famed Italian Renaissance man Niccolò Machiavelli. The historic document is exactly 500-years-old and is the catalyst for Machiavelli's writing of the political treatise "The Prince."

Professor Stephen J. Milner of the University of Manchester found the aged document hidden away in a state archive while researching Florentine town criers in the 15th to early 16th centuries.

"When I saw it I knew exactly what it was and it was pretty exciting," said Milner in a University news article. "When you realize this document marked the fall from grace of one the world's most influential political writers, it's quite a feeling."

After studying hundreds of proclamations from 1470 to 1513 in Florence, Italy, Milner came across one that read more like a "most wanted" notice.

A mounted town crier read the proclamation on Feb. 19, 1513, which stated Florentines had one hour to surrender any information regarding the whereabouts of Machiavelli or anyone who may be hiding him to authorities.

Milner also found a document describing Florentine authorities paying four horsemen to ride through the streets in search of Machiavelli and the subsequent reward they would receive for his capture.

Machiavelli became a wanted man when the power of the Florentine government changed hands and his name was linked to a conspiracy to overthrow the returning Medici family.

"When his name was linked to conspiracy to overthrow the Medici, they wasted no time in seeking his capture using the proclamation I discovered," said Milner.

Machiavelli was exiled from Florence and lived in poverty until his death in 1527. He wrote "The Prince" - and dedicated the publication twice to members of the Medici family - in an effort to fall into their good graces so he may return to the city.

"'The Prince' was written in the vain hope of gaining favor and employment with the Medici - but there's no evidence to suggest they even read it," said Milner.

"The Prince" is regarded as one of the first works of modern political philosophy and argues the end justifies the means - that it is reasonable to sacrifice one's virtues to maintain power.

"'The Prince' is a seminal work, with a lasting influence on political thought and culture. The term Machiavellian and the naming of the Devil as 'Old Nick' all derive from this single work," said Milner.

The City of Florence held a reenactment of the proclamation reading on Feb. 19 to mark the 500th anniversary of Machaivelli's arrest and his publication of "The Prince."

A costumed town crier rode on horseback rode from Palagio di Parte Guelfa, over the Arno River by way of Ponte Vecchio, with stops at Piazza di Santa Felicita and Piazza della Signoria and ending at the Bargello Museum.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Somewhere out there a Swedish sheep is wondering at this moment why the handsome man laying next to it started sweating profusely.

merithyn

Seems rather interesting that it's found almost exactly at the 500-year mark for the event. Almost too convenient, really. :hmm:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

grumbler

Quote from: merithyn on February 25, 2013, 12:11:26 PM
Seems rather interesting that it's found almost exactly at the 500-year mark for the event. Almost too convenient, really. :hmm:
Seems like they found it because they were looking for items having to do with the 500th anniversary.  No surprise about this timing at all.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 25, 2013, 12:37:55 PM
I wonder what his preset bail amount was.

Thinking of cashing in, are we?  ;)

CdM: bounty hunter for the beyond-the-grave set.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on February 25, 2013, 05:58:36 PM
Quote from: merithyn on February 25, 2013, 12:11:26 PM
Seems like they found it because they were looking for items having to do with the 500th anniversary.  No surprise about this timing at all.

I can just imagine the editor for the New York Daily news telling his reporters to find something for the 500 year anniversary of Machiavelli's exile from Florence.  They were probably in a real panic before they found this.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on February 25, 2013, 06:47:47 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 25, 2013, 12:37:55 PM
I wonder what his preset bail amount was.

Thinking of cashing in, are we?  ;)

CdM: bounty hunter for the beyond-the-grave set.  :D

I NEED SIGNERS WITH PROPERTY