And we're back!

Main Menu

2013 Oscars - Habsy Memorial Thread.

Started by mongers, February 24, 2013, 05:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on February 25, 2013, 10:52:18 AM
I didn't even know she was from West Virginia. :blush:

She was born in Texas but grew up in WV.  Now she does return to WV occasionally and her parents may still live there, but I still don't get why people are so amazed.  Law of averages says that occasionally even a West Virginian is going to gain notoriety for something.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

Quote from: Caliga on February 25, 2013, 10:21:51 AM
It's funny how the local media is making such a huge deal about Jennifer Lawrence.  Like she gives a shit about Louisville any more now that she's made it big in Hollywood. :rolleyes:  My understanding is that they did the same thing with Tom Cruise, so you'd think they would have learned their lesson already.

You can be proud about producing HOTT blondes.  :P

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: The Larch on February 25, 2013, 11:04:49 AM
You can be proud about producing HOTT blondes.  :P
Louisville also produced Diane Sawyer. :cool:

btw, my office is about a mile from a big park named after her dad E.P. Sawyer.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

fhdz

Quote from: Syt on February 25, 2013, 04:31:51 AM
Well, he was buried in TV productions for a lot of his career. Actually, he said he's been quoted in an interview that even the nominations gave him a lot of satisfaction, because a producer once said about him he's at best useful as quirky character for made for TV movies.

Some actors need just the right director to come out of their shells.
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

It's funny how the local media is making such a huge deal about Jennifer Lawrence.  Like she gives a shit about Louisville any more now that she's made it big in Hollywood. :rolleyes:  My understanding is that they did the same thing with Tom Cruise, so you'd think they would have learned their lesson already.

Yeah, it's funny like that;  Linda Hamilton went to my junior high and high schools, and I was going there when Terminator first came out;  newspapers and the schools had signage all over the place, and you know damned well that woman forgot about that place the moment she got the fuck out of town and never looked back.  :lol:

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 25, 2013, 12:44:17 PM

Yeah, it's funny like that;  Linda Hamilton went to my junior high and high schools, and I was going there when Terminator first came out;  newspapers and the schools had signage all over the place, and you know damned well that woman forgot about that place the moment she got the fuck out of town and never looked back.  :lol:

What's that have to do with a town claiming a famous person?

Syt

Quote from: fahdiz on February 25, 2013, 12:12:25 PM
Some actors need just the right director to come out of their shells.

The first role I recall seeing him in was a TV movie (based on a true story):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111349/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

QuoteThis movie depicts the story of Erwin Makolajczyk, a psychopath who killed 9 people in a courtroom on the 9th of March 1994. All of his life Erwin was a loner with a special liking for weapons. Finally he meets the older Lena to live with - but when she finds his weapons by chance one day, he beats her up. For this he's sentenced to pay her smart money - and Erwin cracks up...

The real guy shot a few people in the court room and then blew himself up with a bomb. Waltz brings an eerie banality to this rather pathetic person moving between pitiful ineptness and cold psycho.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on February 25, 2013, 12:53:02 PM

Because "newspapers and the schools" were claiming such, you nasty little bitch?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 25, 2013, 01:05:43 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 25, 2013, 12:53:02 PM

Because "newspapers and the schools" were claiming such, you nasty little bitch?

My point was that a hometown feeling excited about having had a star live there is pretty independent of whether or not the star gives a crap.  You were the one's getting huffy that the local media was excited.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on February 25, 2013, 01:27:55 PM
My point was that a hometown feeling excited about having had a star live there is pretty independent of whether or not the star gives a crap.  You were the one's getting huffy that the local media was excited.

:lol: is huffy?  OK, Anecdote Police.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 25, 2013, 01:29:19 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 25, 2013, 01:27:55 PM

:lol: is huffy?  OK, Anecdote Police.

Cal was rolling his eyes. :P

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!