Will the Government shut down on the 27th of March?

Started by jimmy olsen, February 24, 2013, 05:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I think there is a disconnect in how people view spending and services.  Spending is what other people get.  Services are what I get back from my hard earned tax dollars.  There are similar disconnects in entitlements, (welfare is what lazy people get, but I payed into to Social Security so I deserve what I get back out), and goverment employees (leeching bureaucrats vs brave soldiers saving democracy).  The result is you have people who say they want a balance budget but think they can do it by only cutting the things they don't like unaware that the things they don't like and the things they do like are often the same thing, or they automatically ignore 70% of the budget and focus on tiny things like foreign aid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 28, 2013, 04:38:57 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2013, 03:49:11 PM
Seriously though, I think Congress is much more responsive to what people want then we give them credit for.  The problem is that we want contradictory things.  People want low taxes and high quality services.  The result is high debt.

There's some truth to that.  But I think another problem is with career politicians (on both sides) who get entrenched in their positions and institutionalize bad habits, like deficit spending.

I used to be 100% against term limits but I'm much more open to the idea now.

They only get elected by doing what people want.  People want deficit spending, (though nobody says it like that), instead it's things like "giving back that tax money to the people".  Guess what, that's deficit spending.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2013, 04:44:12 PM
They only get elected by doing what people want.  People want deficit spending, (though nobody says it like that), instead it's things like "giving back that tax money to the people".  Guess what, that's deficit spending.

That's too simplistic.  Some people want spending, and some want low taxes.  There's not necessarily a complete overlap there. 

And btw I don't think most of the people understand some of Washington's institutionalized silliness.  Like baseline budgeting, under which "spending cuts" only mean a reduction in the originally expected increase in spending :bleeding:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Eh they win re-election something like 90+% of the time and many of them run unopposed.  I am pretty sure they are under that much pressure to conform to this roaring populist tide to destroy the country.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2013, 04:41:28 PM
I think there is a disconnect in how people view spending and services.

Indeed.  It is what Bismark said would destroy our system.  And it is.  So...why not stop doing that now?  Surely there comes a time when self preservation has to factor in there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2013, 03:16:11 PM
We elect members of our our citizenry to represent us.

Are they representing us, Raz?
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 28, 2013, 04:48:42 PM

That's too simplistic.  Some people want spending, and some want low taxes.  There's not necessarily a complete overlap there. 

And btw I don't think most of the people understand some of Washington's institutionalized silliness.  Like baseline budgeting, under which "spending cuts" only mean a reduction in the originally expected increase in spending :bleeding:

Not complete, but a great deal.  It really stuck me when they were polling Tea Party types back in 2010 how many wanted to "cut spending", without actually cutting spending.  I imagine there are similar problems in the Democratic party.  Blaming Washington is easy, but useless.  The lion's share of the blame lies with us.

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on March 28, 2013, 06:17:01 PM

Well, me at least.  I don't know if you are still a citizen.  You sorta dropped off the radar for a while, I don't know what you were up to.

Jacob

I read some piece about GOP types - including Michele Bachmann - complaining about the FAA shutting down flight control towers in their districts; those towers were economically positive for the community and important.

That does seem congruent with Raz's point - people are fine with cutting stuff in other peoples districts, but less fine with cuts in their own.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I didn't know Derspeiss wasn't an American citizen.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on March 28, 2013, 06:35:04 PM
I read some piece about GOP types - including Michele Bachmann - complaining about the FAA shutting down flight control towers in their districts; those towers were economically positive for the community and important.

That does seem congruent with Raz's point - people are fine with cutting stuff in other peoples districts, but less fine with cuts in their own.

You missed Raz's point, which is a good one.  Tea Partiers thought they could balance the budget by cutting Sesame Street and Food Stamps.  That saves you a little more than Senate hair cuts.

derspiess

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2013, 06:33:27 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on March 28, 2013, 06:17:01 PM

Well, me at least.  I don't know if you are still a citizen.  You sorta dropped off the radar for a while, I don't know what you were up to.

Corporate bailouts represent Raz's interests. Good to know.
and the horse you rode in on