Bark Up or Down? Firewood Splits Norwegians

Started by Syt, February 22, 2013, 11:53:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: fahdiz on February 22, 2013, 01:18:21 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 22, 2013, 01:05:12 PM
Unprepared for what? Sleeping in front of the hearth?

Or if the power goes out for an extended period of time during the winter.

Isn't that one and the same. I don't recall growing up that fireplaces were a great way of heating a house.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Legbiter

Bark up.

Anything else and you'll be silently judged.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on February 22, 2013, 01:21:09 PM

Isn't that one and the same. I don't recall growing up that fireplaces were a great way of heating a house.

I do.  Once dad had the stove insert put into the fireplace it kept the 1st floor of our house all nice & toasty.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

fhdz

Quote from: garbon on February 22, 2013, 01:21:09 PM

It depends on the layout of the house, certainly.
and the horse you rode in on

mongers

I think in a way building, maintaining a fire/fireplace is a somewhat important skill and worthy of discussion/tv coverage, certainly more 'real' and useful, than talking about what the latest application does on this or that phone OS or about the newest bright shiny smartphone just out.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: derspiess on February 22, 2013, 01:25:18 PM

I do.  Once dad had the stove insert put into the fireplace it kept the 1st floor of our house all nice & toasty.

Thank Ben Franklin.

My brother in law heats his house with one of those automatic pellet burning stoves. It works wonders and controls the heat level automatically. I don't know how it compares to natural gas economically. He can toss normal wood in there if he wants.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 22, 2013, 01:53:14 PM

Thank Ben Franklin.

My brother in law heats his house with one of those automatic pellet burning stoves. It works wonders and controls the heat level automatically. I don't know how it compares to natural gas economically. He can toss normal wood in there if he wants.

Yeah, they seem good in terms of efficient burn, especially as compared to older methods.
I guess the problem is the initial capital outlay, availability of supply and the price of the pellets if the fires become very popular.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on February 22, 2013, 01:48:22 PM
I think in a way building, maintaining a fire/fireplace is a somewhat important skill and worthy of discussion/tv coverage, certainly more 'real' and useful, than talking about what the latest application does on this or that phone OS or about the newest bright shiny smartphone just out.

I'm not sure I agree. Apart from the novelty and aesthetic value - I'd think for most people (who would otherwise be discussing smartphones and apps), this sort of fire serves no real purpose.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

That is true. I plan on squatting at my in-laws, a mile away & use theirs.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

fhdz

Quote from: mongers on February 22, 2013, 01:48:22 PM

Why so judgmental?
and the horse you rode in on

MadImmortalMan

I have a bit of a fondness for skills that would help me live independently of the trappings of modern society, so I kinda agree with Mongers. It's probably why I like to cook. Some things are universal.

What I do for a living would be of no utility or value whatsoever after the zombie apocalypse.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 22, 2013, 01:53:14 PM

Thank Ben Franklin.

Will do :P

QuoteMy brother in law heats his house with one of those automatic pellet burning stoves. It works wonders and controls the heat level automatically. I don't know how it compares to natural gas economically. He can toss normal wood in there if he wants.

I read a WSJ article about them a couple years ago.  At the time it was a lot more economical than gas, oil, or electric heat.  If I had a house where one of those were feasible, I'd install one in a heartbeat.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: fahdiz on February 22, 2013, 02:08:29 PM
Why so judgmental?

Being against things is the easiest replacement for religion.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: 11B4V on February 22, 2013, 12:24:36 PM
You see, your're not prepared now........tisk...tisk.

I'm prepared by living somewhere it doesn't go below freezing  :cool:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 22, 2013, 02:08:43 PM
I have a bit of a fondness for skills that would help me live independently of the trappings of modern society, so I kinda agree with Mongers. It's probably why I like to cook. Some things are universal.

What I do for a living would be of no utility or value whatsoever after the zombie apocalypse.

Can I sell you a bunker?