Penny pinching: Can Obama kill the one-cent coin?

Started by jimmy olsen, February 20, 2013, 12:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on February 20, 2013, 03:24:02 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 20, 2013, 02:34:44 PM
No, I'm replying to a guy who doesn't like using cash at all, except for " ... a $20 bill or two" as an emergency stash for places that are cash-only where his credit card is no good. I said nothing whatsoever about dollar coins having "no impact on those who prefer to use dollar bills to dollar coins". That's something you invented. Even you should understand that labelling something I've not said as a "misapprehension" is a misapprehension on your part, not on mine. 

I can't imagine many are going to be carrying a couple of individual dollar bills as an emergency stash. :lol:

I think you misunderstand the "guy" and so imagine poorly.

Yeah, I'm much worse off going by what he actually posted rather than by your imagination as to what I've posted.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on February 20, 2013, 03:34:41 PM
They are useful for the sort of applications one tends to use single dollars for - tips, and vending machines of all sorts. Dollar bills (in the US, and when we had 'em) are often so worn that the machine just spits 'em out.

But more importantly, they mean the bills actually in your wallet are the valuable stuff while the change in your pocket or coin pouch is the small stuff you use for truly minor transactions.

Think of it in reverse - if you hate coins so much, why not get rid of 'em altogether and have 1 cent, 5 cent, 10 cent and 25 cent bills? Because, I suspect, you would find them filling your wallet, making it thick like a telephone book, and making it hard to quickly find more valuable bills.

As far as I'm concerned, get rid of the penny, nickel, and maybe even dime altogether.

I think the fact is that some of us (Garbon and I) don't have coin pouches. This whole thing can probably be summarized as if there are dollar coins we will need to carry coin pouches.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: viper37 on February 20, 2013, 03:35:27 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 20, 2013, 03:00:47 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 20, 2013, 02:59:05 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 20, 2013, 02:50:57 PM
Please, make a list?

The one obvious advantage is that 12 has more factors than 10 does.

Is that the right word, factors?  Been a while.  Or is it divisors?

This is somewhat useful if you are doing carpentry by hand.
Even there...
-"Move 1/2"
- Back 1/4
- 3/8
- ok we got it.

Now, with metric:
- Move 3mm to the left.
- Done.

:P

An argument I've seen advance for base 12, was that it was easier to use where no plan existed of what was being built and most parts of it were constructed as a proportion of other components of the structure.
For example some of the medieval cathedrals, though one does find it hard to believe that at least some of them didn't have a plan.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

They are useful for the sort of applications one tends to use single dollars for - tips, and vending machines of all sorts. Dollar bills (in the US, and when we had 'em) are often so worn that the machine just spits 'em out.

Say what now? Point taken on vending machines but tips? I don't see why a coin would be preferable there.

But more importantly, they mean the bills actually in your wallet are the valuable stuff while the change in your pocket or coin pouch is the small stuff you use for truly minor transactions.

Dollars are not valuable? :unsure:

Quote from: Malthus on February 20, 2013, 03:34:41 PMThink of it in reverse - if you hate coins so much, why not get rid of 'em altogether and have 1 cent, 5 cent, 10 cent and 25 cent bills? Because, I suspect, you would find them filling your wallet, making it thick like a telephone book, and making it hard to quickly find more valuable bills.

Actually in either form they'd be fairly useless. Unless you are saying the dollar (and the 2-dollar) are on the same useless scale, not sure why you'd dollar denominations turned into coins.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on February 20, 2013, 03:46:12 PM
I think the fact is that some of us (Garbon and I) don't have coin pouches. This whole thing can probably be summarized as if there are dollar coins we will need to carry coin pouches.

Which would be obnoxious.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Pockets?

Do you guys carry a lot of singles on you?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on February 20, 2013, 03:51:43 PM
Pockets?

Coins can easily fall out of one's pockets - especially when one is taking items out like a wallet or phone.

Oh and as I said, I currently have 15 ones in my wallet all that I got while out at bars.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on February 20, 2013, 03:53:05 PM
Pockets?

Coins can easily fall out of one's pockets - especially when one is taking items out like a wallet or phone.

Oh and as I said, I currently have 15 ones in my wallet all that I got while out at bars.

I partially solve that about a quarter of a century ago, 35mm film cannister are ideal for containing up to fivers worth of change and being somewhat rounded have the advantage of helping to preserve suit or pants pockets.   :bowler:

Neil

Quote from: garbon on February 20, 2013, 03:53:05 PM
Pockets?

Coins don't really fall out of your pocket though.  I think you might be doing it wrong.

At any rate, it's all pointless anyways.  Cashless is the way of the future.

Admiral Yi

Only time stuff falls out of my pockets is when I'm taking my ease on the barcolounger.

There are probably 15 cigarette lighters in its inner recesses.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on February 20, 2013, 04:02:40 PM
At any rate, it's all pointless anyways.  Cashless is the way of the future.

And coins are the way of the distant past, when their value was the same as the metal contained within.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 20, 2013, 04:05:11 PM
Only time stuff falls out of my pockets is when I'm taking my ease on the barcolounger.

There are probably 15 cigarette lighters in its inner recesses.

Tip, you many want to cut back on the amount of smoking you do in that chair. 

I can see the headlines now:

Man immolates self in butane death trap chair.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on February 20, 2013, 04:09:12 PM

Tip, cigarette lighters don't teleport themselves out of pockets when you're not smoking.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 20, 2013, 04:11:42 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 20, 2013, 04:09:12 PM

Tip, cigarette lighters don't teleport themselves out of pockets when you're not smoking.

Yeah, but you've already set the trap.  :tickingtimebomb:   :P