News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best Voice Acting?

Started by Queequeg, February 19, 2013, 03:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Bioware usually has good voice acting on its big releases - I especially like Jennifer Hale when she plays tough soldier types (Fem-Shepard, Trooper in SWTOR, etc.). Though having Claudia Black in Dragon Age was also awesome. :wub:

Still, one of the best jobs recently has to be Spec Ops: The Line. The gameplay was mediocre, but the cast gave it their all in this descent into madness, especially Nolan North (of Uncharted fame) who drifts ever deeper into insanity, and arguably lifted the story up so you overlooked the gameplay flaws and were invested in the plot. The supporting cast (Bruce Boxleitner as Col. Konrad, Jake Busey as crazed radio host, Christopher Reid as tough black Sgt) also put in great performances.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Fable 3's voice acting was amazing. I love it when such big media is British and not Americanised. Just feels so much more real to me.

John Cleese seems to be doing a lot of voice work these days. Really cashing in on his geek respect to cover his divorce :D
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Oh, honorable mention for Batman: Arkham Asylum which assembled a lot of the animated series' cast.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

And I never could quite get into the Fable games. Something about them just felt out of place - one moment you have an attempt at a serious story, the next you run around naked through town, showing off your latest trophy. The solemn and the whimsy never quite meshed for me in those games.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on February 19, 2013, 11:26:36 PM
Pretty sure the records in BioShock were on relatively compact tape-like devices.

Relatively compact  They still looked like they weighed 20 pounds.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

They came in machines and were played in machines, actual tape was smaller than VHS.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on February 20, 2013, 02:13:57 AM
They came in machines and were played in machines, actual tape was smaller than VHS.

Yes and you find the whole machines.  Often in strange places like under water or something.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Pedrito

I always loved Planescape: Torment voice acting: Hannah, Morte, Nordom, Ignus' voices are really good.

...but i always loved that game, so I can be a bit partial  :P

The voice acting during the missions in X-COM: Enemy Unknown is very simple but pretty effective.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on February 20, 2013, 01:05:19 AM
Fable 3's voice acting was amazing. I love it when such big media is British and not Americanised. Just feels so much more real to me.
:hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on February 20, 2013, 08:55:55 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 20, 2013, 01:05:19 AM
:hmm:

He's a nazi.  What else do you want?

Sophie Scholl

Dragon Age: Origins and Batman: Arkham Asylum/City are both top notch out of the ones brought up so far.  I also enjoyed Starcraft's voiceovers and some of the old Wing Commander ones as well.  Heck, on some level all of Blizzard's older games had at least amusing voiceovers in terms of RTS clicking.  With my current job as a tour guide, I usually get asked if I do voice work a few times a day.  I must admit that I think it would be a fun job, and something I'm considering looking into.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

PRC

Baldur's Gate II

"All the world is blind to my passing..."

"You must gather your party before venturing forth!"

"The strength of the group is directly related to the honour of the group."

Razgovory

Today another game with excellent voice acting came to mind.  Myth I and it's sequel.  Each of the levels had a fairly well written diary entry read by an old and tired  sounding narrator.

Jaron

For a second, I thought you wrote Myst. :P
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Caliga

I'm surprised only Syt has made a (passing at that) mention to the Mass Effect series.

"How about goodbye!?"

"I'm Commander Shepherd, and this is my favorite store on the Citadel."

Come on, people. :glare:

Speaking of that, I've still not played ME3, and I decided to replay 2 as a Paragon and bang Liara since I couldn't do that the first time around (since I played it before Lair of the Shadow Broker was released).  Once I'm done with that, I'll play ME3.  Princesca is playing ME3 now.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points