News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best Voice Acting?

Started by Queequeg, February 19, 2013, 03:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Grand Theft Auto III and LA Noire spring to mind.  Both are universally excellent, with some extremely strong work done by the leads.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on February 19, 2013, 05:06:27 PM
Black and White I played for maybe 15 minutes,

Was that the one where the monster dude crapped on the peasants?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 19, 2013, 05:58:37 PM
Quote from: Caliga on February 19, 2013, 05:06:27 PM
Black and White I played for maybe 15 minutes,

Was that the one where the monster dude crapped on the peasants?

Yes. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I'm not keen on getting a big name film actor for a video game.  You can get three or four Maurice LaMarches for the same cost and they can do five different characters apiece.  Thinking back a game that really impressed me with it's voice acting was Company of Heroes.  Just the unit chatter was great 

"Volksgrenadiers ready... for what's worth."

"When it's clicking like that you have to reload".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Just in general, Company of Heroes was astonishing.  Probably one of the best RTS games ever made.  I'd argue the best. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Also, my pants are uber dairy factory over Company of Heroes II.   :secret:

Queequeg

BioShock was extremely strong.  Andrew Ryan in particular. 

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Queequeg

Quote from: Habbaku on February 19, 2013, 08:27:58 PM
Baldur's Gate II.  :wub:
Can't believe I forgot to mention this.  Irenicus is the best baddie voice acting ever.

Arcanum is also really, really good. 

Habbaku

Quote from: Queequeg on February 19, 2013, 08:28:59 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 19, 2013, 08:27:58 PM
Baldur's Gate II.  :wub:
Can't believe I forgot to mention this.  Irenicus is the best baddie voice acting ever.

He's what I thought of first, aye, but the other stuff is delightful as well.  I can't think of a single bad voice acting job in the whole game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk0sOGVSAP4

:wub:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Queequeg

I think Arcanum's acting was at least as good.  Aaronax and Kerghan were amazing.  [spoiler]The final reveal-that Kerghan is the villain, who wants to end life so that they all end up in an afterlife that's virtually identical to Nirvana-is one of the greatest endings in any game ever.[/spoiler]

Razgovory

If I recall Baldur's Gate was released before every line of dialogue was spoken was the norm.  So got only a little voice acting in those games.

Oh and you're right Psellus, CoH was probably the best RTS ever released.  At least the best in the last decade.  I was really disappointed by Dawn of War II (which wasn't really an RTS).  Hopefully CoH will be good.

I don't know if Bioshock had good voice acting or just great writing.  I even forgave the mediocre shooting and the silly cliche about the characters leaving the Dictaphones everywhere for me to find piece by piece it was so good.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Queequeg

To be fair, Ken Levine kind of started the stupid cliche with System Shock 1 and 2, though IIRC Marathon did something similar. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on February 19, 2013, 10:34:23 PM
To be fair, Ken Levine kind of started the stupid cliche with System Shock 1 and 2, though IIRC Marathon did something similar.

It makes a little more sense in an age of where recording devices are easy to use and common.  Those old reel-to-reel machines would have been a bitch to carry around.  Still the alternative is to have a huge info dump when you find a computer or diary.  I like the the idea of the Apocalypse diary, where you find the last words and recordings of some doomed group of people.  It's just normally poorly done.  Worst offenders were Alien Vs Predator (the most recent one), and Doom 3 (where you have about 50 people who record that they heard weird sounds before demons from hell kill everyone).

Queequeg

Pretty sure the records in BioShock were on relatively compact tape-like devices.