News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Eugene of Savoy: General, Gay Icon

Started by Malthus, February 19, 2013, 11:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Meanwhile, in gay history ...  :P

I just finished an old biography of Prince Eugene of Savoy, the famous general of Austria (buddies with the Duke of Marlborough in the War of the Spanish Succession).

What an odd life story this guy had. Modern royal scandals are tiresomely dull by comparison.

His mom was kicked out of France for alleged poisioning and Satanism, leaving young Eugene behind; Louis XIV refused his request to join the army, because (a) the teenaged Eugene was so puny and ugly; and (b) he supposedly belonged to a set that went in for transvestitism and associated pleasures. So, naturally, with that family background and 'look', Louis insisted he become a priest!

Eugene left France in a snit or huff for Austria, where he set out to prove Louis was wrong about him ... by smashing his armies.

Which, with a little help from gigolo-turned-general Marlborough, he did. Apparently, the history of warfare discloses few examples of two genius-level generals working so harmoniously together (despite the fact that they were working for different countries whose interests were not, in many ways, alligned; England was to betray Austria quite comprehensively and seek a seperate peace).

I wonder if the famously (even infamously) handsome Marlborough's looks made him more appealing to Eugene?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

For every pointless gay thread from Malthus, do I get a free Jew thread? :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on February 19, 2013, 11:14:11 AM

:yes:

Anyway, I'm hoping a board full of history nerds at least knows who Eugene of Savoy was.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

sbr

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 19, 2013, 11:32:55 AM
Where's GF's picture?

Not sure why GF's picture should be expected to grace this thread ...  :hmm:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on February 19, 2013, 11:41:17 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 19, 2013, 11:32:55 AM
Where's GF's picture?

Not sure why GF's picture should be expected to grace this thread ...  :hmm:

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 19, 2013, 11:23:45 AM
I want to add a point to that set of rules to.

While I know who Clive Davis, and Eugene of Savoy, is; POST A DAMN PICTURE.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on February 19, 2013, 11:17:27 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 19, 2013, 11:14:11 AM

:yes:

Anyway, I'm hoping a board full of history nerds at least knows who Eugene of Savoy was.  :lol:

The Italian who fled France and fought Turks in order to keep Hungary Austrian.  :P

The Brain

I am currently reading a book about Marlborough. :smarty:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on February 19, 2013, 12:00:45 PM
Quote from: The Brain on February 19, 2013, 11:58:49 AM
I am currently reading a book about Marlborough. :smarty:

Smoking is bad for you.

I spent my teen years in Marlborough.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Larch on February 19, 2013, 11:56:40 AM
The Italian who fled France and fought Turks in order to keep Hungary Austrian.  :P

Continental history around the time of the War of Spanish Succession is one of the more interesting periods that seems to be overlooked. You have these epic wars, but it is the era before nationalism and after the religious wars. To a certain extent most people were just opportunists.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on February 19, 2013, 12:04:06 PM
Continental history around the time of the War of Spanish Succession is one of the more interesting periods that seems to be overlooked. You have these epic wars, but it is the era before nationalism and after the religious wars. To a certain extent most people were just opportunists.

Agree that it is an interesting period that tends to be overlooked.  Primarily I think because the results of most of the wars was status quo ante.  Unless you look further east, to the beginning of the Ottoman decline and the rise of Russia.