News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Music Legend Clive Davis Comes Out As Bisexual

Started by garbon, February 19, 2013, 09:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/music-legend-clive-davis-comes-out-as-bisexual

QuoteThe legendary music producer Clive Davis comes out as bisexual in a new memoir, The Soundtrack of My Life, detailing long-term, monogamous relationships with men for the past two decades.
The news was first reported in a Rolling Stone report and an interview with ABC's Nightline Tuesday night.
From Rolling Stone:

QuoteIn a candid five-page section toward the end of the book, due in stores today, he writes that he first had a sexual encounter with a man during "the era of Studio 54." "On this night, after imbibing enough alcohol, I was open to responding to his sexual overtures," writes Davis, who says he had only been with women before. Being with a man, he writes, provided "welcome relief."
After a period of "soul searching and self-analysis," Davis separated from his second wife in 1985, and says that he went on to have simultaneous relationships with two women and a man. In 1990, he entered into a "monogamous relationship" with a male doctor, who is not named in the book. Although that relationship ended in 2004, Davis says he has been in a subsequent relationship with another man ever since.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: garbon on February 19, 2013, 09:18:20 AM
http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/music-legend-clive-davis-comes-out-as-bisexual

QuoteThe legendary music producer Clive Davis comes out as bisexual in a new memoir, The Soundtrack of My Life, detailing long-term, monogamous relationships with men for the past two decades.
The news was first reported in a Rolling Stone report and an interview with ABC's Nightline Tuesday night.
From Rolling Stone:

QuoteIn a candid five-page section toward the end of the book, due in stores today, he writes that he first had a sexual encounter with a man during "the era of Studio 54." "On this night, after imbibing enough alcohol, I was open to responding to his sexual overtures," writes Davis, who says he had only been with women before. Being with a man, he writes, provided "welcome relief."
After a period of "soul searching and self-analysis," Davis separated from his second wife in 1985, and says that he went on to have simultaneous relationships with two women and a man. In 1990, he entered into a "monogamous relationship" with a male doctor, who is not named in the book. Although that relationship ended in 2004, Davis says he has been in a subsequent relationship with another man ever since.

Thanks for the info, Marty.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 19, 2013, 10:36:36 AM
Yes. Don't pay much attention to producers.

Oh then here's the part I cut out. I just thought he was very well known.

QuoteMusic producer signed Whitney Houston and Bruce Springsteen, worked with Aretha Franklin and many more.

@Syt - I thought this was interesting as he's at least very famous to me and something I wouldn't have expected.

And from wiki:
QuoteAt Arista, Davis signed Aretha Franklin, Dionne Warwick, Patti Smith, The Outlaws, Eric Carmen, Exposé, Ace of Base, Air Supply, Ray Parker and Raydio, and Alicia Keys, and he brought to the label Carly Simon, The Grateful Dead, The Kinks and Lou Reed. He founded Arista Nashville which became the home to Alan Jackson, Brooks & Dunn, Pam Tillis and Brad Paisley. Davis founded LaFace Records with L.A. Reid and Babyface. LaFace subsequently became the home of TLC, Usher, Outkast, P!nk and Toni Braxton. He founded Bad Boy Records with Sean Combs and it became the home of the Notorious B.I.G., Puffy Combs, Mase, 112 and Faith Evans.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

I look forward to Mart's upcoming post about how everyone important throughout history has probably been gay, so Davis's announcement isn't a surprise at all. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Never heard of him either.

Only producer I can remember the name of is Phil Specter.

Unless Quincy Jones did some producing as well.

Caliga

What about that Turkish dude who helped launch Ray Charles's career?  The one that Booger played in 'Ray'? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 19, 2013, 10:52:13 AM
Never heard of him either.

Hmph, well I'll be. Perhaps it has to do with the acts that he helped foster (a lot of which were on the R&B side during my lifetime). I link him most closely in my mind with Whitney Houston.*

*"Fun" fact but she was supposed to be getting ready to go to a party thrown by Davis when she died.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on February 19, 2013, 10:41:00 AM
@Syt - I thought this was interesting as he's at least very famous to me and something I wouldn't have expected.

Just teasing. :hug: You're not quite as "ZOMG U KNOW WHO'S GAY/BI???" as he is. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

For each pointless "gay/bi" thread launched by garbon, I get one free "Jew" thread.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on February 19, 2013, 11:12:30 AM
For each pointless "gay/bi" thread launched by garbon, I get one free "Jew" thread.  :P

Can you tell me what constitutes a thread with a relevant point? I'm afraid I didn't get a copy of the rubric.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on February 19, 2013, 11:13:26 AM
Can you tell me what constitutes a thread with a relevant point? I'm afraid I didn't get a copy of the rubric.

One of two conditions must be met:

1. If it's just celebrity gossip, like this one, the principle must be someone the rest of us know and care about.

2. Alternatively, the story can contain some other issue of academic interest.