News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pope Benedict XVI 'is to resign'

Started by Martinus, February 11, 2013, 06:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I can't believe that anybody fell for Viking's anti-religious trolling.  Come on, guys.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on February 19, 2013, 08:22:30 AM
He can still be tried in absentia and of course can be a defendant in civil lawsuits.

The enforcement of such judgements would be a different thing, but that would still be a reputational hit for Vatican.
Not really.  The people who care about that sort of thing are already pretty much dead set against the Vatican as it is.  And the people who hate the Vatican are pretending to care about child abuse.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

He can still be tried in absentia and of course can be a defendant in civil lawsuits.

The enforcement of such judgements would be a different thing, but that would still be a reputational hit for Vatican.

It would be a reputational hit for any country that puts a retired pope on trial in absentia.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on February 19, 2013, 08:45:34 AM

Not really.  The people who care about that sort of thing are already pretty much dead set against the Vatican as it is. 

Yeah that's what I was thinking too.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Not really.  The people who care about that sort of thing are already pretty much dead set against the Vatican as it is.  And the people who hate the Vatican are pretending to care about child abuse.

Yeah, if Marty cares about child abuse he should have shown it when Roman Polanski looked like he was going to extradited.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2013, 12:22:05 PM

Yeah, if Marty cares about child abuse he should have shown it when Roman Polanski looked like he was going to extradited.

I think Marti thinks the latter gets a pass as an auteur.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

You give him too much credit.  I don't think Marty thinks.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

And the people who hate the Vatican are pretending to care about child abuse.

Bingo.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall