And we're back!

Main Menu

Pope Benedict XVI 'is to resign'

Started by Martinus, February 11, 2013, 06:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on February 12, 2013, 03:19:49 PM
Quote from: Viking on February 12, 2013, 03:01:42 PM
What baffles me right now that somebody is arguing that internal consistency of arguments is bad.

:lol:

Excellent, I am glad to see you've decided to give us an example of a strawman. I assume that's what you're doing, right? Because you can't have just been complaining about strawmen and then turned right around and offered your own. Could you?

You know he's crazy, right?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on February 12, 2013, 08:31:09 PM
You know he's crazy, right?

We're all crazy. It's a matter of degree, not necessarily kind.
and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

Quote from: dps on February 12, 2013, 06:31:30 PM
Actually, the ruckus is over the meaning of the term "bar to trust".  I kid you not.

What's unfortunate is that I think the other discussion - whether or not it is bizarre and counterproductive to automatically distrust someone who evidences internal inconsistencies - is a hell of a lot more interesting.

garbon

Quote from: fahdiz on February 12, 2013, 08:51:05 PM
Quote from: dps on February 12, 2013, 06:31:30 PM
Actually, the ruckus is over the meaning of the term "bar to trust".  I kid you not.

What's unfortunate is that I think the other discussion - whether or not it is bizarre and counterproductive to automatically distrust someone who evidences internal inconsistencies - is a hell of a lot more interesting.

I don't. Pretty much everyone "evidences internal inconsistencies."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

Quote from: garbon on February 12, 2013, 08:52:31 PM

Oh, I quite agree. I guess I was wondering how, given that, Viking finds interpersonal relationships possible at all.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on February 12, 2013, 08:55:23 PM

Oh, I quite agree. I guess I was wondering how, given that, Viking finds interpersonal relationships possible at all.

Well he is an engineer...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: fahdiz on February 12, 2013, 08:55:23 PM

I suppose he could go the CdM route and just keep women chained up in his basement.

fhdz

Quote from: dps on February 12, 2013, 10:09:57 PM
I suppose he could go the CdM route and just keep women chained up in his basement.

Can't trust even a chained-up woman!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: fahdiz on February 13, 2013, 12:11:08 PM
Quote from: dps on February 12, 2013, 10:09:57 PM

Can't trust even a chained-up woman!

Just keep paper clips away from them.  They'll work the lock all night if you let 'em.

Martinus

One thing that I just read someone mentioning that I haven't thought about before.

Upon his resignation, Ratzinger will no longer be protected by his head-of-state immunity. There are private charges and lawsuits against him (both concerning his tenure as the head inquisitor and the Pope) in Europe and Americas, concerning his role in covering up pedophilia scandals.

This could get interesting.  :hmm:

Maladict

Not really, he won't live long enough.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on February 19, 2013, 04:54:49 AM
One thing that I just read someone mentioning that I haven't thought about before.

Upon his resignation, Ratzinger will no longer be protected by his head-of-state immunity. There are private charges and lawsuits against him (both concerning his tenure as the head inquisitor and the Pope) in Europe and Americas, concerning his role in covering up pedophilia scandals.

This could get interesting.  :hmm:

He's going to live in Vatican City until his death. I don't know how the Holy See feels about extradition.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

He can still be tried in absentia and of course can be a defendant in civil lawsuits.

The enforcement of such judgements would be a different thing, but that would still be a reputational hit for Vatican.